Looking for some large batch brewing ideas with two different setups

So you are saying to pitch enough yeast for 16 gallons of wort total? Let’s say the 8 gallon batch required a 2 liter starter just for an example. Brew 8 gallons then pitch 2 liters, add 8 gallons 24 hours later, and then pitch another 2 liters? I was planning on oxiginating via the carb stone in the unitank.

Edit. I reread it and it makes sense now. 1 pitch for 8 gallons if waiting 24 hours to add another 8 gallons. Limit oxygen on the second batch transfer.

Do you think that would be a good time to dump the first batch of trub then?

Sorry. Reading that was confusing. I’ll try to make it clearer:
Double batch is 2 batches in one day. On top of another is doing one today and another tomorrow. So:
If you double batch pitch enough yeast for 16gals and O2 on both batches.
Some help speeding a double batch up:

1. have your strike water ready and up to temp before running off to BK
  2. I know you use electric so run that wort off to BK/propane. Grain out and get your new mash started immediately
  3. cool your first batch a bit cooler than ideal temps. Then you won’t need to cool second batch as much. Obviously this is yeast specific as well as experience.

If your brewing on top of another do so within 24 hours. Your first brew should be pitched with a healthy amount of yeast for 8gals with full O2. Your second batch the following day shouldn’t need as much O2 nor do you want to over O2 as it can add to oxidation if your yeast doesn’t need it. There should be no need for additional yeast if your first pitch was healthy.

Hopefully that clears things up

1 Like

Totally does. Thank you

Ok so I decided on getting a 5 gallon conical since I will brew more 5 gallon batches than anything and it will allow me to brew more often. So now that I have the money and I’m ready to buy one this week, would you guys go with the spike or the ss brewtech chronical brew masters edition? One comes with a chilling coil and one doesnt. I dont even have a way to use that and I can add it to the spike down the line. And the spike can be pressurized to 15 psi as opposed to 2 psi in the brewtech. Any thoughts would be helpful on this. I’m leaning towards the spike

I’d choose the one that can go to 15 PSI’s… My thought is it will seal better… And you could then use as a bright/carbing tank…
Sneezles61

That’s what I’m thinking. I’m also looking into fermenting under pressure right now. Apparently you can turn lagers around a little faster than traditional ways and even go up to 70 degrees Fahrenheit with them. Not positive on any of this info just started reading about it

The local Brewer ferments under pressure… Claims he can get his brews out 3 days earlier… Good for them…
Now I can’t prove this next statement… But here I go… And maybe the pro’s can weigh in…
Since they’ve taken to this method, their brews are mediocre… They used to have very tasty brews… Could be they are rushing product out and forgot to allow the soul to remain.
Sneezles61

1 Like

Ooh good to know. I’m still torn on which one to get. I’d get the ss brewtech unitank if it wasnt double the cost

The spike flex plus can do all the same things it just doesnt have the ability to dump trub. Not sure how important that really is to me

I’ll have to look at the spike offerings…
Sneezles61

The 14 gallon spike conical is only $100 more than the 7 gallon. Might go that route as I can ferment both 5 and 10 gallons in that

6.5g is the minimum to ferment 5 gallons imo.

Yeh I might just get the cf5 by spike. Maybe put the extra 100 towards a titt

1 Like

Most excellent choice!!
Sneezles61

Ok so I just ordered the flex + by spike. No accessories just as is. 375 shipped and no dump valve. I can also fit it into my keezer/fermenter without any issues. I save yeast from the carboys and buckets I use by just pouring it into mason jars and hardly use it so I couldn’t justify the 175 extra just to dump trub and collect yeast. I typically try new types of yeast all the time and when I find what I like, just make large starters and save off of that. I’ll post some pictures when it arrives. Looking forward to some simple transfers now and I need to get a tilt hydrometer now

3 Likes

3 Likes

HOLY MOLY!!!:sunglasses: Now there’s a very bright glimmer in the morning! Now to hear about its first adventures… Very nice.
Sneezles61

1 Like

Nice! Looks like you’re brewing in a toy store.

1 Like

Haha really . The kiddo helped me put it together for the most part.

1 Like

I ordered a lb of talus hops today but my homegrown hops might be in the first beer I make in this thing. They are just about ready. Really excited to dry hop through the top port and extremely excited for my first gravity/pressure transfer using this sweet valve setup. No more racking canes for me

1 Like