Looking for some advice on Cold steeping

I’m doing a black IPA, but don’t want the roasty element that comes with most dark grains

Is there some one out there that could walk me through their steeping process, amounts, times, products etc?

my recipe as is…
20 # 2row
3 # rye
1 # C60
1# chocolate wheat
(10 gallon batch)

As is this will give me a dark (ish) IPA, but I was going for black, so is someone could explain their process and success/ failures, I would be very grateful!

I would just use 6oz or so of Blankprinz or midnight wheat and you should get all color, no roast.

will 6oz of dark roast be enough darken 10 gallons?

[quote=“Gr8abe”]I’m doing a black IPA, but don’t want the roasty element that comes with most dark grains

Is there some one out there that could walk me through their steeping process, amounts, times, products etc?

my recipe as is…
20 # 2row
3 # rye
1 # C60
1# chocolate wheat
(10 gallon batch)

As is this will give me a dark (ish) IPA, but I was going for black, so is someone could explain their process and success/ failures, I would be very grateful![/quote]

Check this out…

http://hbd.org/clubs/cascade/public_htm ... index.html

dah, sorry, missed the 10G part. I would think 12oz would be enough for 10 gallons, but I’d check the website

Why not just use the ingredients which will yield the flavor you want, then let the color be what it may be?