Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Looking for Recipe Suggestions

I haven’t brewed in awhile and my kegs all have big beers in them. I’m ready for a change of pace and want to brew a middle of the road sort of beer. Here are my requirements:

• 1.040-1.055 OG
  • All Grain
  • Malty to balanced, but with a noticeable hop flavor (think Moose Drool)
  • Perhaps a pale, amber or brown, etc.
  • Northern Brewer or Home Formulation are okay

Any suggestions?

Palmers Elevenses with an extra pound of base malts, and enough N. brewer or funky English hops to balance it out. Kegged a batch 2 weeks ago, and all I can think is…Imperial next time??? A fantastic recipe with plenty of room to play with it.

Slainte!!

I don’t think you will be disappointed:

60% 2-row
20% flaked maize
20% 6-row
to around 1.050

Saaz @ 60, 20, 10, 5, to about 40 IBU

US-05 at 60*, raise temp after 5 days to 70*

This has a really apparent, but bready malt flavor, and a great upfront sweetness from the corn, a slight fruity ester from the S-05 so low, and great Saaz character.

If you want to go more American Pale:

75% 2-row
10% melanoidin
10% c40
5% wheat
to about 1.050

Magnum @ 60
“C” hops of your choice, or Simcoe, Amarillo, Galaxy, etc. at 20, 15, 10, 5, 0 and/or dry hop

kind of an American Amber.

YET another suggestion, I make this one all the time, kind of like a maltier anchor steam
75% 2-row
10% munich
5% vienna
7% crystal 40
3% pale chocolate
to 1.055 or so

northern brewer all the way through to about 50 IBU

I personally use Wyeast 2206 bavarian lager at 62* or so, so basically fermented as an ale. I think it makes a great malty fall ale.

:cheers:

Here’s a simple APA recipe:

5 gallons @ 80% efficiency
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.9 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.1 %
0.50 oz Galena [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 26.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Pearle [5.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 11.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [6.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10.4 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [6.90 %] - Flame out Hop 0.0 IBUs

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG

Take a look here… http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BeerRecipes

Thanks for weighing in, everyone. Regarding the recipes on the AHA website, have they all been vetted, or can anyone add a recipe? I see of course, that some list their own accolades, it’s the others I’m wondering about. And thanks for weighing in, Denny, even though life begins at 60.

Anyone can add a recipe, but most of the ones on the AHA site are from well known, reputable brewers. I don’t mean to imply that other recipe databases aren’t reputable, but when I look through the recipes on the AHA site, I know most of the people who have submitted them. And there re a lot of award winning recipes.

If you don’t own Brewing Classic Styles, then I highly recommend it. It is the only recipe book I own, and it is my starting point for any recipe where I’m trying out a new style I’ve never brewed before.

How about since I’m looking at Denny’s familiar smile, why don’t you try his Waldo Lake Amber? You can find it by Google like I did, but I guarantee you once you’ve tried it, it might be one of your mainstays like it did for me. :cheers:

It’s so funny you suggested Waldo Lake. I’ve actually been eyeing that one for a while. I really thought it might be my next batch, but as I mentioned I was ready to brew something with a lower OG. In fact, I was considering posing the question of how one might take that recipe and “water it down” so to speak. I ended up deciding that was dumb and that I’ll just save Waldo Lake for next time.

For anyone bored enough to be following this thread:

I ended up brewing an altered version of NB’s Sierra Madre Pale Ale. I switched the Caramel 60L to Caramel 40L and added a 1/4# of Pale Chocolate.

It’s here…http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/ … keAmberAle

I try to archive most of my recipes in the AHA recipe wiki, so if anyone is ever looking for one, that’s a good place to start.

I try to archive most of my recipes in the AHA recipe wiki, so if anyone is ever looking for one, that’s a good place to start.[/quote]

Denny, I notice the recipe at the AHA wiki calls for Amarillo whereas the one I have, from NB I think, calls for centennial. Which do you prefer and why?

I’m about to brew my third batch of Waldo Lake. I forgot to FWH the second batch and it’s good but not as great as the first.

I try to archive most of my recipes in the AHA recipe wiki, so if anyone is ever looking for one, that’s a good place to start.[/quote]

Denny, I notice the recipe at the AHA wiki calls for Amarillo whereas the one I have, from NB I think, calls for centennial. Which do you prefer and why?

I’m about to brew my third batch of Waldo Lake. I forgot to FWH the second batch and it’s good but not as great as the first.[/quote]

Amarillo is the original and IMO best hop for it. Don’t know why NB changed it.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com