Looking for opinions

I’m getting ready to bottle my first batch and I was debating weather or not to rack the brew through a screened funnel before it goes into the bottling bucket. Is it a wasted or unnecessary step?

You run the risk of oxidizing the beer if you plan to rack it through a screen. Just rack carefully into the bottling bucket or rack to secondary and let it sit. Using a screen is unnecessary. I mean you can if you want to, but in my experience is that bottle conditioned beer tends to settle out quite well. Is it the yeast, hops, or just trub you are worried about?

In my opinion it is not needed to do that, but you can. Move your fermenter to a higher point and set a towel under an edge to tip it. Let it sit for a bit and the rack to the bottling bucket.
Just read you post again. DO NOT POUR OUT OF THE FERMENTER TO THE BOTTLING BUCKET!!! Get an auto siphon if you don’t have one, makes life easier. Just a 3/8 or 1/2 clear hose will work too. Good luck and enjoy.

[quote=“brewerbender”]In my opinion it is not needed to do that, but you can. Move your fermenter to a higher point and set a towel under an edge to tip it. Let it sit for a bit and the rack to the bottling bucket.
Just read you post again. DO NOT POUR OUT OF THE FERMENTER TO THE BOTTLING BUCKET!!! Get an auto siphon if you don’t have one, makes life easier. Just a 3/8 or 1/2 clear hose will work too. Good luck and enjoy.[/quote]

I use a thick book, but this is how I do it. Not worth the risk of oxidation.

No need to do that IMHO. When you are transferring into your bottling bucket, just siphon from the top and slowly follow the beer down. When you are right at the bottom, tip the carboy towards you (every drop counts!). Even if you get some sludge, and it ends up in the bottles, it will all settle to the bottom anyway.

A lot of homebrewers will tell you to always serve your homebrew in a glass, this way you can stop the pour right before the heavy sludge comes out.

… although some just drink it right from the bottle and don’t care. The choice is yours!

I have a friend that swears by last night’s leftover bottle sludge as a hangover cure. B-Vitamins and just enough leftover booze to buzz you out of your haze… now if only I could bring myself to choke it down. Nasty.

Just do a few days of cold crashing and you’ll be nearly sediment free. Also, +1 on definitely dont pour. Auto siphon

Are you kidding me??? I have an iron stomach and am pretty sure there is no way I could handle doing that!

I got my first batch bottled this afternoon. I did not strain the brew and it appears that there was a lot less sediment in the bottles than what I was anticipating. Thanks everybody for the help. Now I just have to be patient for another couple of weeks.

Be patient! You’ll want to crack one after a week, but wait at least two weeks and you should have yourself some carbonated fantastic. Go a step further and save a 6 pack for 6 months later and you’ll have some amazing brew. Good luck!