Looking for advice on AG smoked chocolate porter

Hello, everyone,

I’m new to all grain brewing and, for my first AG brew, I’d like to make a smoked chocolate porter. Any critiques/input would be appreciated; I’ll be using the BIAB method. Thanks for the help!

Batch Size: 5 gallons

9 lbs Maris Otter
2.5 lbs Weyermann Smoked Malt
1 lb chocolate malt
0.5 lb roasted barley
1 lb Crystal 120L
1 lb Molasses
0.5 lb Baker’s chocolate (added to boil, boil for 60 min)

1 oz Kent Goldings hops, 60 min
2 oz Fuggles, 30 min
1 oz Kent Goldings, finish

Wyeast 1028 London Ale Yeast

My last attempt at a Smoked Porter was a partial extract and a 5 gallon boil in which I used 12 ounces of Bries Smoked Malt. When the beer had aged for about 4 months in a keg, I tried some and it was like drinking a bottle of ashes from your campfire. I let it age for another 2 months and there was no improvement. This is the only beer that I have made that I dumped more than I drank. I would get advice from more seasoned brewers, but my experience is use caution on the smoked grain.

I disagree that you can use too much Weyermann/Bamburg smoked malt. I’ve used 100% before with good success. Tastes like a good ham or bacon, if you like that sort of thing. 2.5 pounds should be a good amount without being over the top.

Now, peat smoked malt… that stuff is nasty. No more than 0.5 ounce per 5 gallons, period. I am not kidding. Tastes like burning plastic / electrical fire in any amount more than that.

But Weyermann… you’re fine. No worries.

Thank you dmtaylo2, I believe that your response helped me out as much or more than the original poster. being not that experienced with smoked malt, I thought that they were all pretty much the same as to how the affected the taste. Once again, I have learned some valuable information.

Thanks…

Let me know how your All grain smoked porter turns out.

After my first fiasco with the beer that was too heavily smoked, If yours turns out well, I might try duplicating it.

Thanks for the help, everybody! And Jethro, I’ll be brewing this either late this month or early next month. I will, indeed, let you know how this all turns out!