Looking for a suggestion

I was going to brew a Viking ale in the morning, but the yeast hasn’t come in, so I’m thinking I’ll make something else with what I have.

11lb 2 row
1 lb crystal 20L
1/2 lb crystal 60L
1/2 lb carapils

3 oz cascade
3 oz No. Brewer
2.5 oz willamette
2 oz tradition
2 oz fuggle

2 packs of US-05 or 2 packs of Nottignham
(I was going to make a starter soon for tomorrow morning with one of these)

Of course I don’t have to use ALL the hops.

Any suggestions from you brew veterans?

Paul

11 Lbs 2-Row
1/2 Lb Crystal 20L
1/2 Lb Crystal 60L

Northern Brewer @ 60
Cascade @ 15
Cascade @ 2
Cascade @ Dry Hop

Go for a BU/GU around 1/1

Thanks, Greg. What would you call that? Also, the 20L is already in the mix, so I have to use the entire pound.

Pale Ale or Mini IPA
depending on gravity
Is all the grain mixed in or is the 60L and Carapils seperate?

the 60L and cara are still separate. Pale ale sounds good. I think I’ll use the Safale US-05

[quote=“paultuttle”]2 packs of US-05 or 2 packs of Nottignham
(I was going to make a starter soon for tomorrow morning with one of these)[/quote]Don’t make a starter with dry yeast - either rehydrate it or pitch it dry, but starters are counter-productive (they deplete the resources stored in the cells).

[quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“paultuttle”]2 packs of US-05 or 2 packs of Nottignham
(I was going to make a starter soon for tomorrow morning with one of these)[/quote]Don’t make a starter with dry yeast - either rehydrate it or pitch it dry, but starters are counter-productive (they deplete the resources stored in the cells).[/quote]

OK, thanks, Shadetree. I’ll hydrate it and hit it with O2.

And +1 to Greg’s recommendation for the recipe - I would just use the 2-row and 20L, save the mix of 60L and carapils for something else.

Yep, that’s exactly what I’m doing. I do appreciate the advice.

I brewed it up, just like Greg and Shadetree recommended. I left the 60L and Carapils out, and did the hop schedule as recommended. I fly sparged (I’ve been going back and forth), still not sure how to figure my efficiency (some engineer, huh?). My 17 yr old son helped every step of the way. Great bonding time. (I called him in sick to help me brew. Am I going to brew hell?)

My OG is 1.062, right where Beersmith says it should be. I bought a 6 Gal BB from my LHBS yesterday and racked it into there. Not a lot of head space, so I rigged a blow-off hose. I’ll let it sit in the primary probably 2 weeks, then rack to secondary where I will dry hop for a week.

I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

Paul

[quote=“paultuttle”]I’ll let it sit in the primary probably 2 weeks, then rack to secondary where I will dry hop for a week.[/quote]Just FYI, in case you want to save a little work, you can dryhop in the primary.

I know, I’ve seen a lot of posts concerning dry hopping in primary, bottling from the primary. I guess I’m stuck in my own little paradigm: secondary everything. And I do. I secondary everything. Except for mead. That’s a tertiary.