Looking for a Pliney the elder extract recipe

More beer is out of the kit, so I am looking for a clone.

Masheriff

Check brew365.com they have some commercial clone recipes. I’ve never brewed the Pliny clone there, but it looks good.

Btw did you ever brew that bastard clone I sent you?

And as for an extract version, I’d guess you could just replace the 12lbs of base malt with 8-9 lbs of extract.

I’d go for the version in Brewing Classic Styles
http://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Classic-Styles-Winning-Recipes/dp/0937381926/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350950686&sr=8-1&keywords=brewing+classic+styles
, which is called Hop Hammer IIPA. I can’t recommend this book enough! I’ve brewed about a dozen of these recipes and they’re all fantastic. I did the AG version of Hop Hammer and it was amazing. Much better than the commercial sample of PTE that I was able to get my hands on (although there’s no saying how old that puppy was, since I found it in Michigan).

I have the recipe that Vinnie wrote himself in an issue of BYOB. I find it tonight when I get home and post it.

From Zymrugy July/August 2009 in an article written by Vinnie Cilurzo (Owner Russian River Brewing)

11 lbs Two Row pale malt
.5 lbs Crystal 45 malt
.5 lbs carapils
.4 lbs dextrose (corn sugar)
3.5oz colubus 13.9% AA 90 min
.75 oz columbus 45 min
1oz simcoe 12.3 AA 30 min
1oz centennial 8% AA O min
2.50oz simcoe 0 min
1oz Columbus dry hop (12-14days total)
1 oz centennial dry hop (12-14) days total)
1oz simcoe dry hop (12-14 days total)
.25oz columbus, centennial, simcoe dry hop (5 days to go in dry hop)

Wyeast 1056

Mash at 151-152 for 1 hour
EXTRACT SUBSTITUTION
Substitiute 6.5lbs light malt extract for two row malt
Steep grains in 1 gallon of water at 165 degrees for 30 minutes

It’s ridiculous, the recipe I have, which is that one, I think, comes out to be something like 220IBUs when I put it into Beersmith. 3.5oz of Columbus at the start of the boil! Insane!
I’ve had Pliny the Elder and it’s amazing beer, but that hop bill just seems ludicrous.

[quote=“Beersk”]but that hop bill just seems ludicrous.[/quote]I’m brewing a 1.085 IIPA on Friday, planning on using about four lbs of hops in an 11-gallon batch. Roughly a lb of that will be Columbus, split between FWH and @ 60 minutes, the rest @ 5 and FO (Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, Cascade, Comet, Cupid, Donner, and Blitzen). Then another half-lb in the dryhop. Gotta clear the hops fridge in preparation for the 2012 pellets!

There won’t be enough Sensodyne to save your teeth! That hop bill will be an enamel killer! Send me some please!!!

Side note: where are you procuring your 2012 pellets?
Thanks, Mike

[quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]Side note: where are you procuring your 2012 pellets?[/quote]I bulk buy from wherever I can get them - nikobrew, north country malt, and breweries are all good places to start looking. Typically buy 44# at a time and then split them up for club members to purchase by the lb. Hopsdirect is usually first up with pellets on a per-lb basis, though you have to get there at the right time to get a full selection, so start keeping en eye on their website.

Thanks. I’ve been watching HD for awhile. Leaf is loosening up but pellets are still slow.

[quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]Leaf is loosening up but pellets are still slow.[/quote]“Still slow” as in non-existent. Unless you want 2011 crop. And I haven’t found a good bulk buy for 2012 leaf hops yet either - most of the good types were contracted out for the year, going to take a while for smaller lots to work down to my level. :wink:

[quote=“Beersk”]It’s ridiculous, the recipe I have, which is that one, I think, comes out to be something like 220IBUs when I put it into Beersmith. 3.5oz of Columbus at the start of the boil! Insane!
I’ve had Pliny the Elder and it’s amazing beer, but that hop bill just seems ludicrous.[/quote]

The recipe (which is from Vinnie) says actuator IBUs are 90-95 actual, not calculated . I’m not sure how they figure the “actuall” IBUs.

I will have to go back and read the article. Somewhere they talked about the amount of hops, and that at a certain point, ibu calculations would not work. I will have to go back through the issue and see if I can find a more detailed explanation.

Just blew a keg of Vinnie’s recipe last night. :frowning:

I’ll be brewing that exact recipe again very soon!

Enjoy it!

I picked up an extract kit from my local homebrew store, DIY Brewing Supply. The store owner says it the same recipe as Vinnie’s. I got it for $58 with Wyeast 1056 and tax, not bad at all.