Looking for a Good IPA Grain Bill

I recently purchased three ounces of Citra from the NB in MPLS and would like to use them to make an IPA. I plan to use Chinook or something else for bittering and using the Citra for late additions.

Does anybody have a good grain bill for an IPA?

Currently my grain bill is:

89.4% two-row
6% Munich Malt
4.6% Crystal 40L

Originally I was going to use biscuit malt instead of munich malt because I really enjoyed the biscuit malt in a pale ale, but was unsure how it would be in an IPA.

I would like a little malt complexity so I thought munich malt may provide it. I would greatly appreciate advice!

Try using European pale malt, German or British, at a 95% to 5% ratio with some medium crystal.

that grain bill looks solid. i’d start there then decide if you want to throw in some biscuit. personally i’d keep your crystal and biscuit mix below 10%, if you choose to add it.

I like to run a small amount of wheat in mine.

[quote=“S.Scoggin”][quote=“Shenanigans”]
Currently my grain bill is:

89.4% two-row
6% Munich Malt
4.6% Crystal 40L

Originally I was going to use biscuit malt instead of munich malt because I really enjoyed the biscuit malt in a pale ale, but was unsure how it would be in an IPA.
[/quote]

that grain bill looks solid. i’d start there then decide if you want to throw in some biscuit. personally i’d keep your crystal and biscuit mix below 10%, if you choose to add it.[/quote]

I think this is key to determine your own tastes. This summer/fall, I was bound and determined to nail my personal/house IPA grain bill via my own preference. I started with 90% 2-row, 10% munich, and worked up from there. I found I like some light crystal in mine, so I now have 5% c20, 5% c40.

Once you have determined the basic recipe (whether it contains wheat, melanoidin, biscuit, whathaveyou), you can mess with it for more experimental brews. After making what I consider the best IPA I’ve ever made, I then subbed in 40% rye for some of the 2-row and made the best rye I’ve ever made!

You also might want to consider 5-10% simple sugar if you like it dry.

I do almost exactly what you have there, except I use C-15L (english extra light crystal) instead of C-40L.

IMHO biscuit is great in a pale ale, but disappears in an IPA. I tried it once and decided it was a waste of biscuit malt. Good grain bill,and also good advise from the other posters.

True statement in my mind.

Thank you everyone for the advice! I will likely stick with the grain bill I have. I look forward to finding a grain bill which suites my tastes.

I will save the biscuit malt for my pale ales, I really like the saltine cracker taste it creates. I made the Dry Dock Breakwater Pale Ale which used a little biscuit malt and really enjoyed the beer.

For a change of pace, try 100% 2-row, with a couple lbs toasted at 350F for 30 minutes.

Can you do this if your grain is pre-crushed? Have wanted to try it for awhile, but I don’t have my own mill. Might give it a go for a "SM"aSH spring ale soon :slight_smile:

[quote=“Pietro”]Can you do this if your grain is pre-crushed? [/quote]Don’t see why not.

Keep a close watch over it. Pre-crushed might burn quicker then non-crushed.

I did an ipa with 97 % 2 row 3% fawcett amber it turned out really nice

Keep a close watch over it. Pre-crushed might burn quicker then non-crushed.[/quote]

I toast flaked grains occasionally at 350 for 15 mins. Just keep an eye on them.