Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Look at all the Floaties!

We brewed 10gallons of an IPA yesterday. When we transferred from keggle to carboys, we saw all of this sediment floating in the wort.

Normally we transfer into buckets, so this can’t really be observed.

What is all this stuff? We use a mesh hop bag, so most of the hop material comes out in the bag.

I know this will all settle out anyways, but I’m just curious what it is.

Looks like cold break material to me; how do you chill your wort and then transfer to fermenter?

I use an immersion chiller then whirlpool the chilled wort, let things settle 20-30 minutes, and then siphon mostly clear wort to the fermentor. I get some break from the bottom of kettle but not like what’s in your photo.

How to Brew states removing cold break makes cleaner beer but that it’s not much of a problem except for lagers.

Hope this helps.

With a good cold break, the material will swim around like little fish.

We chill with a copper immersion chiller. It goes in 15 minutes before the boil is done to sanitize the chiller.

Once we start the water running through the chiller, we don’t stir the wort so all the material has time to settle.

The chilling process takes 30-40 minutes.

Our keggle has a valve with a dip tube that reaches to about 1 inch from the bottom where all the break material settles to.

Even after the fermenters are full, there is still a good inch or so worth of trub on the bottom of the kettle.

I wonder if it would be better to turn the dip tube sideways and then slowly push it back down as the volume decreases? I bet we’re pulling in break material from the bottom with the force of the suction on the dip tube…

I think you are missing the part of allowing 20 minutes or after cooling or whirl pooling to let things settle before draining.

Unless I misunderstand, I would stir the wort frequently while chilling to get movement around the chiller coils. It will speed up your chilling process and make your temp. readings of when to stop chilling more accurate.
Then remove the chiller and let the break material and hops settle for awhile.

[quote=“dsiets”][quote=“stompwampa”]

Once we start the water running through the chiller, we don’t stir the wort so all the material has time to settle.

The chilling process takes 30-40 minutes.

[/quote]

Unless I misunderstand, I would stir the wort frequently while chilling to get movement around the chiller coils. It will speed up your chilling process and make your temp. readings of when to stop chilling more accurate.
Then remove the chiller and let the break material and hops settle for awhile.[/quote]

Aye. I guess I’ve always misunderstood the process! Will do that next time.

Thanks!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com