Long time Beer drinker, 1st time Brewer

We’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

To the OP, brew whatever you want and feel you can handle. If you have the means to keep a steady fermentation temp of around 50F and then keep it at 35F for months and really want to tackle lagers, by all means go for it. Just make sure you do the research and know what you are getting into.

Patience is very rewarding in this hobby so if you plan to brew a lager, be prepared to wait an extra month or two to taste your final product over an ale.

Ummmmm, ok. And this ^^^^.

:cheers:

I apologize, I didn’t mean to get such a debate started. I answered the OP kind of quickly from work and what I was trying to say was I personally think starting with Ales just makes it just a bit easier in regards to the fermenting. I was not saying eventually he can’t grow/learn/expand, but the first batch (first 3-5 batches) erring on the side of learning the basics I think is not a bad thing.

:cheers: [/quote]

I’m just not seeing what the harm in having a new brewer brew the simplest possible recipe first to see how he feels about the hobby before making the decision to jump into it. It’s the natural progression for any hobby, start out small and then jump right in. Your personal crusade to get new brewers to start with lagers is confusing and I’m not sure your motivation.

Am I the only one thinking a California Commons would be a good starter here? It’s not a typical lager, but neither were the two examples mentioned. That way you’re starting with something familiar, but you’re also getting a more typical (and more forgiving) start on brewing. Plus you may have a more enjoyable experience if you’re not disappointed your beer didn’t come out more like someone else’s beer.

:cheers: [/quote]

I’m just not seeing what the harm in having a new brewer brew the simplest possible recipe first to see how he feels about the hobby before making the decision to jump into it. It’s the natural progression for any hobby, start out small and then jump right in. Your personal crusade to get new brewers to start with lagers is confusing and I’m not sure your motivation.[/quote]

My motivation is to dispel half-truths, falsehoods, and scare tactics that are perpetrated on this forum. And, encourage others to enjoy the full benefits of home brewing by not limiting their choices to ales and extract.

Cheers

[quote=“StormyBrew”]

My motivation is to dispel half-truths, falsehoods, and scare tactics that are perpetrated on this forum. And, encourage others to enjoy the full benefits of home brewing by not limiting their choices to ales and extract.

Cheers[/quote]

Even if they wait till their second brew to tackle that lager? It’s not like people are saying “Do not brew a lager until you have brewed exactly 12 ales.” They’re just easing a new brewer into the basics before going into more advanced topics. It’s a healthy progression.

I can’t speak for everyone but I’m not lending advice as a sort of “elitist” attitude like “whoa tiger, only pros can tackle lagers.” My motivation is to make sure new brewers focus on the basics before trying to jump to something with a few more steps. I still consider myself a new brewer so I don’t think my advice is unsound. I’m glad I started simple and worked my way up to more complicated procedures because it helped me learn the benefits of those procedures.

There is no malice in my suggestions to start simple. From my personal experience, it was what worked best for me and a number of other brewers I’ve talked to when they started out. Your experiences may have been different and I totally respect that.

As a new brewer…I too am a fan of the Lagers…but I really want to experiment with the Ale’s and gain experience before moving on to Lagers. I am sure I could probably do it right now…but I would rather keep it is as simple as possible for at least my first 5 or 6 batches. Either way…if a guy wants to move on quicker…and has the place to control the temps…I say go for it. :cheers: