Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Long fermentation

Ok so as some of you know I am relatively new to home brewing and I have recently started all grain 1 gallon starters to get my feet wet. I brewed a blonde ale and everything has gone as planned but the fermentation is now into its third week. After 2 weeks I racked to a secondary but the airlock is still bubbling every 15 seconds or so. Is this normal or should I bottle it. I want to make sure there is enough yeast to condition the beer in the bottle. I am unable to take the gravity, I just ordered that equipment in order to do so on the next batch. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

My first guess is that you’re fermenting toward the lower end of the yeast’s advertised temperature range. If that’s the case, you’ll be likely to get some very good blonde ale. Post your recipe and procedures, and maybe we can provide some better guesses.

I personally would wait until all airlock activity has stopped completely before I would even start taking hydrometer readings, I wouldn’t even rack it unless it had stopped. You aren’t taking full advantage of the yeast when you rack early. I believe the beer will tell you when it’s done, not by a proposed schedule. Just my experience.

Airlock activity can be usefull to observe, but is in no way difinitive proof of anything.

Take a gravity reading anytime if you like - would be more informative than watching airlocks.

What does your beer look / smell like at this point? Is it still cloudy with visible signs of fermentation? Has it cleared out with little to no activity on the surface?

What does the beer smell like? Beer? The sludge between a Belgian’s toes?

Very regular activity at this point does sound dubious. But if everything else seems fine, it could just be trapped gas. As mentioned above, temperature range could effect both timeframe of fermentation and amount of trapped CO2.

Beer Smells great and tastes great for flat beer. I am going to give it til saturday until I bottle. the airlock has slowed down since I racked it to the secondary. Hopefully I will get the hydrometer before saturday and I will take a gravity readying. thanks for the help.

Fermentations can vary quite a bit in length. You also need a little time on the back end for the yeast to clean itself up.

Beer can be ready to bottle within two weeks. But without taking hydrometer readings, you are kind of driving blind in that respect.

I do skip readings in many cases myself, but would usually wait until the 3 week mark to keg, just to be sure everything is done.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com