Lone Star Light like recipe

My cousin’s Husband really, really like Lone Star Light.

He recently helped me out with a lot of work on our Ranch, so I thought it would be kinda neat if I payed him back by brewing a Lone Star Light equivalent. I’m just not getting into home brew, so I was curious if anyone out there (particularly the Texans amongst us) have ever tried brewing a Lone Star Light equivalent and have a recipe they’d like to share?

I don’t mind it, so if it took a couple batches to get it right, no harm there!

thanks!

I haven’t had Lone Star Light, but recipe-wise the differences between light lagers are miniscule. Roughly 2/3 pale malt, 1/3 adjuncts (corn or rice, generally), and a single bittering addition for something like 10-15 IBU. Figuring out the yeast strain and how to use it to get the correct levels of any off-flavors is going to be the hardest part.

Process-wise, lagers are a little less forgiving than ales, and I couldn’t tell from your post how much brewing you’ve done. Also, FYI, it’s going to be less expensive to buy him a couple cases.

Here are some recent threads:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59358 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73661 viewtopic.php?f=5&t=105427

I brew a light (colored) yellow mex lager routinely now using WLP’s mexican lager yeast. My BMC & Corona relatives love it. But, it is a lager (as is Lonestar, right) so you need the ability to ferment at controlled low temperature.

Although, you could probably brew it as an ale using a generic ale yeast and ferment it according to the yeast’s preferable temp range.

6.0 lbs Pilsner
3.5 lbs flaked corn
1.0 lb rice hulls

0.5 ounce Perle at 60
0.5 ounce hallertauer at 30
0.5 ounce Saaz at flameout

Mash at 148 for 90 minutes
90 minute boil.

OG: approx 1.055
IBU: approx 20
color: 2
ABV: approx 5.5

More yellow in the carboy:

less yellow in the bottle:

:cheers:

The other thing is that this is possibly the hardest style to brew and brew well. I know that seems weird considering that there is so much beer out there that looks like this but you need to be able to keep a constant 45-50° temp range while the beer is fermenting, the water has to be just right and a beer like this has nothing to hide flaws so if something goes wrong, it will be very evident. If you’re a new brewer, you probably don’t want to start with this style. I have been brewing for 12+ years with over 500 batches and I have all of the right equipment, processes & information and I still screw up this style (and similar styles) occasionally. I agree with the other posts… American 2-row pale malt for 70% and corn for the rest (you could go 80/20 too), a mild hop at the beginning of the boil to 15-20 IBUs and then something like Wyeast 2007, Wyeast 2035 or maybe White Labs 840. Use soft water, ferment between 45 and 50. I have a MAKING LAGERS

page on my site with some additional info. Cheers and good luck.