Little bummed but kegging question

I recently was given a working older fridge that I had planned to convert into a kegerator. Spent a few evenings cleaning the heck out of it and taking measurments etc…

Fired it up and let her run for a couple hours only to find that it doesnt get cold.

Anyway…question is, I had already planned to pick up a few kegs soon.

If I keg stuff up, but hold it a basement ambient temp, will that pose any problems with the brew? Ambient here in Maine is upper 50’s.

50*-60* are excellent aging temps and aging will be even better in kegs as long as you purge the head space. Obviously, some styles lend themselve to shorter aging periods and vice versa.

You can have a nicely carbed beer at those temps within 7-10 days.

But then they’ll be overcarbed after they’ve been chilled.

Maybe, Maybe not. It depends on how you do this. I like to test my beer just to see how It’s going and then make any adjustments. At that temp you can do anything you want.

To be sure you have to watch out for over carbing your beer. Once you know how to do that, then pour us a beer.

[quote=“wallybeer”]
To be sure you have to watch out for over carbing your beer. Once you know how to do that, then pour us a beer.[/quote]
Here’s a good way to avoid over-carbonating: Don’t carbonate at room temp and then chill it. Sorry, I couldn’t resist. :slight_smile:

In theory, you could carbonate to a lower volume at room temp and hope it lands at the right level after some time chilling. Kind of a crap shoot, although I’m sure someone out there would be happy to do the math.