Liquid vs Dry Yeast

Is there any difference between liquid vs dry yeast? Is every yeast available in liquid and dry form or is that the difference? That not every yeast is available in more than one form?

Side question. Many kits give you options for priming and options for yeast. Do you guys tend to either pick the cheapest or most expensive option or how do you decide?

I usually use wyeast, but for the $$ decided to make my last 7 batches with s-04, us-05, notty, and 34/70 and feel that dry is 80% of liquid yeast. It also took a tad longer to hit that sweet spot.

[quote=“nextexile”]Is there any difference between liquid vs dry yeast? Is every yeast available in liquid and dry form or is that the difference? That not every yeast is available in more than one form?

Side question. Many kits give you options for priming and options for yeast. Do you guys tend to either pick the cheapest or most expensive option or how do you decide?[/quote]

I have been brewing only a year, I never use priming sugar because I force carbonate my kegs. Are you doing extract kits? When I did extracts, I used the dry yeast that came in the kit. I switched to all grain and use only liquid yeast. It is a personal preference as to what you like and feel best using. I don’t let the extra cost of liquid yeast bother me. I use Wyeast because I like the smack packs and the variety of the different yeast strains. I’m sure more experienced brewers on this fourm will have an answer for you. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Bier brauer”][quote=“nextexile”]Is there any difference between liquid vs dry yeast? Is every yeast available in liquid and dry form or is that the difference? That not every yeast is available in more than one form?

Side question. Many kits give you options for priming and options for yeast. Do you guys tend to either pick the cheapest or most expensive option or how do you decide?[/quote]

I have been brewing only a year, I never use priming sugar because I force carbonate my kegs. Are you doing extract kits? When I did extracts, I used the dry yeast that came in the kit. I switched to all grain and use only liquid yeast. It is a personal preference as to what you like and feel best using. I don’t let the extra cost of liquid yeast bother me. I use Wyeast because I like the smack packs and the variety of the different yeast strains. I’m sure more experienced brewers on this fourm will have an answer for you. :slight_smile: [/quote]

Thank you, I do use extract kits. For now. :smiley:

The dry yeasst have a liquid yeast that is the same or very similar.

Most liquid yeast are not available in dry form.

So it comes down to the style of beer. Some can be made with dry. Other must have a liquid form used.

You can save some money on liquid yeast by pouring the yeast in a mason jar. Saving in the refrigerator and using in future brews.

I prefer liquid yeast, hands down. But these days (as opposed to when I started brewing back in the 70’s) there are a growing variety of excellent dry yeasts available.

As to cost…if you pitch new yeast every time, then dry will cost you less for sure. But it isn’t necessary to use new yeast every time and a carefully handled liquid culture can last through 5-6 repitches. I personally think that it yields a better brew, but only you can make the determination if there’s a significant difference.

FWIW, I think liquid strains are more “true to type”. But having said that, I will reiterate that today’s dry brewing yeasts are a vast improvement over what was available in years past.

For basic clean US ales, US-05 dry yeast is a great choice, and since the cell count is higher you don’t need a starter. Way easier.

For styles where the yeast is an important style element, liquid is really the only way to go. Particularly for Belgians or any style of lager. Dry lager yeast is a bad thing, stay away, you’re better off making a mock lager by using US-05 and fermenting on the cold side of the ale range.

Don’t buy priming sugar, use ordinary table sugar. Its cheaper and you probably have it already.

[quote=“Nate42”]Dry lager yeast is a bad thing, stay away, you’re better off making a mock lager by using US-05 and fermenting on the cold side of the ale range.
[/quote]

I’m lagering a batch right now that I fermented with 34/70 that is turning out very good. And some very experienced brewers rave about S-189.

Liquid yeast generally requires a starter to build up enough yeast cells to get the pitching you want for most beers. The flip side is that there are a lot more varieties to choose from in liquid yeast than dry.

Safale dry yeasts (S-04, US-05, T-58, S-189, etc.) are of excellent quality. I use US-05 for about half of the beers I brew, even though I could just as easily use the equivalent liquid product. The shelf life of dry yeast is considerable longer than liquid, so I always keep some US-05 (for most American Ale styles) and T-58 (for Belgian styles, also works great in ciders) in the fridge.

Some brewers (including myself) have some concerns about the quality of the dry yeasts coming from Danstar (Nottingham, Windsor, etc.) right now. If you are using dry yeasts, my personal recommendation is to stick with Safale.

If you aren’t prepared to make starters, I would strongly recommend that you stick with dry yeast. If you want to try using liquid yeast, making a starter is really pretty simple. You don’t need a stirplate or flask or anything like that. A glass growler or gallon jug is plenty to get you started.

Well you had to ask didn’t you?

I’ve had success with every type of dry yeast and it’s just so simple to use. US-05 is a great, neutral, All-American yeast. Works well for APAs, IPAs, Creams and the like. Unlike erock, I’ve been hugely successful with Nottingham and the Munich Wheat from Danstar. In fact, I use Nottingham in the house beer I make and I’ve used in plenty of other great brews. Contrary to Nate’s statement, all of my lagers have been fermented with dry yeast, besides one, and have turned out superb. 34/70 is my first choice for lager yeast. I’ve heard that S-23 is not very good, but the one lager I did with it turned out fine.

To be more specific to your question, there are differences. Liquid yeast has a better variety. The downside is that they cost more and you have to spend additional money to build them up to get to an amount you can pitch.

From the start of my brewing “career” I’ve used table sugar to prime. Never any issues with it and it’s cheaper and more readily available. Save the $1.25/lb of corn sugar and go spend $0.50/lb on table sugar.

[quote=“The Professor”]I prefer liquid yeast, hands down. But these days (as opposed to when I started brewing back in the 70’s) there are a growing variety of excellent dry yeasts available.

As to cost…if you pitch new yeast every time, then dry will cost you less for sure. But it isn’t necessary to use new yeast every time and a carefully handled liquid culture can last through 5-6 repitches. I personally think that it yields a better brew, but only you can make the determination if there’s a significant difference.

FWIW, I think liquid strains are more “true to type”. But having said that, I will reiterate that today’s dry brewing yeasts are a vast improvement over what was available in years past.[/quote]

^^^ I agree with all of these statements ^^^

[quote=“mvsawyer”]Well you had to ask didn’t you?

I’ve had success with every type of dry yeast and it’s just so simple to use. US-05 is a great, neutral, All-American yeast. Works well for APAs, IPAs, Creams and the like. Unlike erock, I’ve been hugely successful with Nottingham and the Munich Wheat from Danstar. In fact, I use Nottingham in the house beer I make and I’ve used in plenty of other great brews. Contrary to Nate’s statement, all of my lagers have been fermented with dry yeast, besides one, and have turned out superb. 34/70 is my first choice for lager yeast. I’ve heard that S-23 is not very good, but the one lager I did with it turned out fine.

To be more specific to your question, there are differences. Liquid yeast has a better variety. The downside is that they cost more and you have to spend additional money to build them up to get to an amount you can pitch.

From the start of my brewing “career” I’ve used table sugar to prime. Never any issues with it and it’s cheaper and more readily available. Save the $1.25/lb of corn sugar and go spend $0.50/lb on table sugar.[/quote]

I guess I’ll have to give 34/70 a shot. My fear of dry lager yeast is based on S-23. Definitely not trying to discount anyone else’s experience.

[quote=“Nate42”][quote=“mvsawyer”]Well you had to ask didn’t you?

From the start of my brewing “career” I’ve used table sugar to prime. Never any issues with it and it’s cheaper and more readily available. Save the $1.25/lb of corn sugar and go spend $0.50/lb on table sugar.[/quote]

I guess I’ll have to give 34/70 a shot. My fear of dry lager yeast is based on S-23. Definitely not trying to discount anyone else’s experience.[/quote]

S-189 is supposed to be a real good lager yeast, if you can find it.