Lining a fermentation bucket

I was thinking of a way to line a fermentation bucket to make scratches a non issue and something that is disposable…some sort of food grade bag …any ideas? what do you all think? I know some people will say just replace buckets but lining a bucket seems even more cost effectve then replacing buckets every so often…the brain storming beging :idea:

You could put a glass carboy in it…

j. kidding

I found food grade drum liners but not the right size yet…when i do i will report back with my results

So after we Brew In A Bag, we Ferment In A Condom? FIAC?

The main trouble I see with the concept is sealing the bucket. If the plastic is too thin, the lid will tear it; if it’s too thick the lid will not engage. In either case you’d need to be careful the lid doesn’t sag-out as you re-open the bucket for racking.

Now, you could forget the lid if do something completely sealed, something like a scaled-up sous vide bag or a box wine liner. But then how do you seal it, and still have some sort of port for an airlock?

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... rchresults

US Plastics has FDA approved bags. Not sure which size you need.

Interesting concept. But glass is still better IMHO.

Next big thing: Box-O-Beer fermenter!

I’m suprisied i got some smart ass remarks considering we all know it does not matter what material you ferment in as long as its inert…and in therory harvesting yeast from a bag seems like a breeze compared to usual methods,clean up is a breeze,they come pre sanitized,never have to buy new buckets, so many pros

And about sealing the bag…i would just loosely tie it off with a rubberband or twist tie…no bucket lid,no airlock…anyway i was just trying to share something i was thinking about…cheers

I would think you’d quickly spend more on the bags than the cost of a new bucket. Scratching a bucket isn’t a foregone conclusion either, if you use proper tools and techniques a bucket will last a long time.

Are garbage bags not food grade? I know garbage cans are.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]I would think you’d quickly spend more on the bags than the cost of a new bucket. Scratching a bucket isn’t a foregone conclusion either, if you use proper tools and techniques a bucket will last a long time.

Are garbage bags not food grade? I know garbage cans are.[/quote]

No garbage bags are not FG…Yeah i hear you but its not only about the scratches its about the ease of harvesting yeast, the ease of clean up ,the ease of sanitation…Im gonna give it a shot and see for my self and let you all know cheers

Sounds like a waste to me.
Plastic never goes away, it just breaks down smaller an smaller. It’s hard to avoid plastics, especially with packaging, but IMO it’s worth doing where you can. Why add more to the trash pile when you don’t have to?

(oops, I’ll get off my soapbox now :stuck_out_tongue: )

I understand the bit on yeast harvesting, I don’t care to pour out of the bucket. I generally use a metal ladle.

It will eventually, theoretically after only a few centuries if the conditions are right. Maybe sooner, considering that we’re now finding microbes that are evolving the ability to eat the stuff.

Now glass, on the other hand. . .

It will eventually, theoretically after only a few centuries if the conditions are right. Maybe sooner, considering that we’re now finding microbes that are evolving the ability to eat the stuff.

Now glass, on the other hand. . .[/quote]

Ok, I was using a little hyperbole, bit a few centuries for moments of convenience doesn’t add up in my mind.

Interesting to hear about the microbes though, I have read about the hope/expectancy of something to eventually evolve to eat it.

Now glass, on the other hand. . .[/quote]

Ok, I was using a little hyperbole, bit a few centuries for moments of convenience doesn’t add up in my mind.

Interesting to hear about the microbes though, I have read about the hope/expectancy of something to eventually evolve to eat it.[/quote]

We’d all better pray that something doesn’t evolve to eat plastic! It would destroy the modern world.

[quote=“fightdman”]
We’d all better pray that something doesn’t evolve to eat plastic! It would destroy the modern world.[/quote]
It probably evolved from the 1% that the anti-bacterial soap does not kill!

And you see this as a bad thing?

And you see this as a bad thing?[/quote]
Well, yes… Yes I do. I have no desire to go back to the 1930’s.

I doubt it’ll be that bad. There’ve been organisms that eat wood all along, and it didn’t destroy the pre-modern world.

Off topic much? :lol: I agree that avoiding plastics whenever possible is a wonderful choice, but ferment-in-a-bag does sound like a hilarious second step: BIAB, FIAB, DIAB?