Line length

I’ve redone my system with new 3/16 line from Micromatic. I calculated the length based upon previously mentioned equations and added a foot for good measure. I’m still half foam! I serve at 45 degrees at 14PSI. I am thinking of running 12ft and cutting back from there. This seems a bit wasteful and imprecise. Any thoughts?

What length are they now? I went from 5’ to 7.5’ at 12 psi, with good results. No scientific reason, I have four taps, it came in a 30’ roll.

6 feet with a calculated line length of 5. I’ve got another 38 feet.

I pour at 5 psi with 4-5’ of 1/4" line and have no problem.

10 feet / 11~12 psi / 40 F / 3 tap and another 4 tap system. NO FOAM.

Yeah, longer and slower is better. I would start with 10-12’ of 3/16" ID. It will be a slow pour, but worth it.

I recommend using the epoxy “swizzle” sticks. One in the dip tube, and much improved pours with 5’ of line.

[quote=“BrewCarp”]I pour at 5 psi with 4-5’ of 1/4" line and have no problem.[/quote]How can you keep your beer carbed properly at 5 psi? Sounds like either an unbalanced system or you are constantly adjusting your regulator.

[quote=“Duder”]10 feet / 11~12 psi / 40 F / 3 tap and another 4 tap system. NO FOAM.[/quote]This is where I am at. 10’ makes for a very nice pour. Click video below if you want to see it in action.

Rye IPA pour with 10’ of 3/16"ID line and 11 psi 40-44 degrees

How can you keep your beer carbed properly at 5 psi? Sounds like either an unbalanced system or you are constantly adjusting your regulator.

My beer doesnt sit that long, most kegs are gone in 30 days!

[quote=“BrewCarp”]How can you keep your beer carbed properly at 5 psi? Sounds like either an unbalanced system or you are constantly adjusting your regulator.

My beer doesnt sit that long, most kegs are gone in 30 days![/quote]

Hmmm, if you regulator is set at 5 psi and you server a few beers, and you regulator is set at 5 psi, your beer is at 5 psi. Even if you carbonate at a higher pressure, it is eventually going to balance out to the setting on the regulator

[quote=“BrewCarp”]
My beer doesnt sit that long, most kegs are gone in 30 days![/quote]

Even if you finish a keg is 30 days, as you draw off beer, CO2 will come out of solution to equalize the head space. By the end of the keg the beer should be fairly flat?

But hay, if it works for you. :cheers:

5 psi at 32-34 degrees is about 2.2 volumes of CO2 at equilibrium, which works well for a lot of common styles.

You need at least another 2’ (that’s what she said…). or as silent suggested, get the swizzle with the shorter lines. If you got the extra line, cut 'em longer.

My setup is 10’ @ 12psi @ 40*F

45f and 14psi is simply not optimum. Above 40f you are not only encouraging the Co2 to come out of solution more rapidly, you are entering the zone where bacteria can grow easily. If you drop below 38f, you’d only need 6-7ft of 3/16" ID serving line on any setup for nice pours at 14psi.

No need to invent anything, this is not only simple physics, it’s industry standard stuff and has been for many years.

Can you point me to some details about these “swizzle” sticks? I’ve never heard of such an animal. :oops:

[quote=“Dean Palmer”]If you drop below 38f, you’d only need 6-7ft of 3/16" ID serving line on any setup for nice pours at 14psi.[/quote]Check your carb chart Dean. 38F and 14 psi is 2.75 volumes of CO2. There is no way you are going to get a balanced system and decent pour with 6-7’. P-J has some very useful information about fill rates and carbonation.

Can you point me to some details about these “swizzle” sticks? I’ve never heard of such an animal. :oops: [/quote]

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113567

It’s the twister in the tube of a 2 part epoxy glue. You can by the glue at the hardware store, or just buy the “mixer”. The thread I linked to has a link to Granger and Amazon.