Line length for Nitrogen Tap

I have been taking a little more care lately in balancing my bev. line length with my preasure etc. to get the best pours and avoid overcarbonnation.

I have not done it with my stout system yet, but imagine it will help me get and maintain that perfect pour scenario that I usually have to work a little bit at.

I will likely be keeping my temperatures fairly low (36-40F) since there will be other beers in there.

I usually get an 80-20 gas blend or something like that. And I’ll keep my preasure 20-25 psi.

How much line would everyone usually be using for this? I’m thinking in the range of 15’?

Any other suggestions of how to improve my setup are always welcome.

My other question would be whether calculations for carbonnation (based on temp vs preasure) change at all with the blend. ie would I assume my preasure to be at 20psi x %20 = 5psi vs temp? Or something else entirely?

I always just used my 5.5 ft hose at between 25 and 30 psi with no problem.

It is my understanding that 30 psi is the proper starting point for experimentation because you want enough CO2 (at about 7-8 partial pressure in a 75/25 blend) to both bubble out at the restrictor disc and also maintain a low level on CO2 in solution when poured. The nitrogen is just for added pressure through the tap. Again, this is my understanding.

So I have always started with the pressure at the desired setting of 30 psi, and worked from there.

For me, it takes 12 ft of beverage line. As I recall, I started with about 15 ft and cut back until I got what I was looking for.

[quote=“Steeler D”]It is my understanding that 30 psi is the proper starting point for experimentation because you want enough CO2 (at about 7-8 partial pressure in a 75/25 blend) to both bubble out at the restrictor disc and also maintain a low level on CO2 in solution when poured. The nitrogen is just for added pressure through the tap. Again, this is my understanding.

So I have always started with the pressure at the desired setting of 30 psi, and worked from there.

For me, it takes 12 ft of beverage line. As I recall, I started with about 15 ft and cut back until I got what I was looking for.[/quote]

Sounds reasonable. This is kind of feedback I was looking for.