Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Light fermentation

i brewed my first batch last monday and haven’t gotten what i think is much activity out the airlock. what i’m seeing is one bubble about every 2-3 sec out the lock, it did get knocked pretty good saturday and the airlock went crazy, so i’m thing i have an airation problem, how concerned should i be with this. for info the extract kit was the creame ale with 1.5lbof honey/sugar mix added OG was 1.060 with us-05 pitched. my fermentor for the first week stayed around 62deg and i gave it a warm water bath to bring it up to 70deg where activity hasn’t changed much. i used mrmalty calculator and my pitch was right on for gravity. Should i stop worrying or just wait an extra week before bottling?

RDWHAHB! Ale fermentations are active usually for only a few days. Sometimes only for the first 24-48hrs. They then slow down considerably, which is exactly what you’re describing. I’d give it another week at least (or even 2 weeks) in the primary then bottle. I and a lot of others, primary for an average of 2-3 weeks then go right into the keg or bottles (except for lagers and bigger beers which take more time). Sounds like you kept the temps at a very good level which IMO is the biggest mistake noobs make. Meaning most noobs pitch too hot, have an extremely active fermentation for 24hrs, then it dies out and they get worried. You sound like you did exactly what your suppose to do and your beer sounds fine. Relax, have a beer, and brew another batch to keep your mind of this first one… which I’m sure is doing just fine.

P.S. Welcome to the hobby/obsession of home brewing!

Dobe, what does RDWHAHB mean?

thanks for the info and the welcome i was figuring as much but didn’t want to rush my first batch i’m excited to bottle it but want it to be just right. And roger that on brewing another batch, just ordered the american wheat.

Relax don’t worry have a home brew!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index. ... _Home_Brew

Oh, OK! That makes sense. Thanks

well fermentation fell off too nothing, so i took a gravity reading and looks like fermentation is over. had a fg of 1.010 and mighty tastey

Sounds like you nailed it.

so afte r 12 days conditioning i couldn’t wait any longer and popped the top on my first batch and wow and it was wonderful, nicely carbonated smooth finsh really taste the yeast finishing out can’t wait for another week.

You are now a homebrewer - congratulations and welcome to the hobby/lifestyle/obsession of your lifetime. Best thing I ever took up.

:cheers:

Obsession is right.

Thanks and definitely obsession, having a beer party this weekend to aquire bottles. Stay thirsty my friends

Thanks and definitely obsession, having a beer party this weekend to aquire bottles. Stay thirsty my friends[/quote]

I have a friend who I give 1 full for every 6 empties he brings me. every time I see him he has half a trunk load of empties for me.

Works out great for us both. He swings by, drinks some brew and goes home with a sixer, I get a few dozen empties.

Thanks and definitely obsession, having a beer party this weekend to aquire bottles. Stay thirsty my friends[/quote]

I have a friend who I give 1 full for every 6 empties he brings me. every time I see him he has half a trunk load of empties for me.

Works out great for us both. He swings by, drinks some brew and goes home with a sixer, I get a few dozen empties.[/quote]

I love it when a plan comes together…

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com