Leave the last 1/4" in the bottle?

So you don’t get a gulp of yeast and end up windier than Chicago in spring. But then you end up with - what? - 11 ounces? In most cases that’s not quite enough for a satisfying serving. That being the cases, do some of you prefer bottling in pints instead of 12 ouncers?

Most like to bottle in larger bottles. Most often drink more than 12 oz, and fewer bottles to wash. 22 oz bottles are popular.

[quote=“KenBakerMN”]So you don’t get a gulp of yeast and end up windier than Chicago in spring.

I’m from NW Indiana (about 30 miles from Chicago)…and I’ve never heard that expression…but I have to say it made me laugh! Thanks!

I love the convenience and time savings of 22 oz bottles…

:cheers:

You know- I really don’t mind the yeast dregs(unless it’s something that’s been in the bottle for more than 6 months). I figure I’m getting extra B-vitamins.
So, I bottle 3 big boys(20 oz) that I let age, then the rest in regular bottles. The big boys usually are saved for parties.

I figure the quarter inch when it’s in the “shoulder” of the bottle, not the bottom. It really is not that much liquid.

I bottle in a mix of bottles ranging from 8oz “nips” to 1.5L magnums.
There are times when I want just a little bit of imperial stout. There are other times where I need to bring enough Tripel for a dinner party.

Start kegging.

Problem solved.

When I did bottle condition, I would decant the first 11 oz and then drink the last ounce from the bottle so I didn’t cloud up my beer. The mosquitos stayed clear those years.

Try 1L and 2L PET bottles for 2-4 pints of clear beer at one serving. And use a bottling yeast that gives you a good solid cake to hold down the sediment that drops out of suspension before the yeast falls on top of it - S-04 is a good one - and you can pour all but the last tablespoon or so of beer trub-free.

[quote=“Wahoo”]I bottle in a mix of bottles ranging from 8oz “nips” to 1.5L magnums.
There are times when I want just a little bit of imperial stout. There are other times where I need to bring enough Tripel for a dinner party.[/quote]

Where have you found 8oz bottles? As a lightweight, I could stand to use these on high gravity beers.

This is what I do, too. For the most part, I don’t care how my beer looks when I’m at home as long as it tastes good.

Sorry s2y, Didn’t mean to PM you…

"Pony"corona bottles-- I would never drink these, and they’re clear, so they are not ideal but I usually bottle 1 or 2 so I can check the beer’s clarity and sediment
Thomas Hardy’s
Dragon Stout
Old Old Foghorn Bottles- they went to 12oz but used to be really tiny, like 7oz.

I wonder if Bud Ponies are pop off still… probably not.

[quote=“Wahoo”]Sorry s2y, Didn’t mean to PM you…

"Pony"corona bottles-- I would never drink these, and they’re clear, so they are not ideal but I usually bottle 1 or 2 so I can check the beer’s clarity and sediment
Thomas Hardy’s
Dragon Stout
Old Old Foghorn Bottles- they went to 12oz but used to be really tiny, like 7oz.

I wonder if Bud Ponies are pop off still… probably not.[/quote]
My LHBS sells 7oz champagne bottles. They’re clear, but I’ve stored bottled beers in the case they came in with no ill effects.