Leaning towards chugger pump over march pump

Anyone on here have any experience with a chugger pump.

Kinda leaning that way with the price difference. The plastic head model of the chugger is only $99, compared to $149 or $159 for the march pumps.

You can even get a stainless steel chugger for $139.00.

It also appears to have more horse power than the 809 and the same as the 815. And higher max heads than both. With a higher flow rate as well. Really thinking of going towards the chugger.

What are your thoughts?

I own only March pumps, but I’ve never heard anything bad about Chugger pumps. They look identical to the 809/815 series from March.

Thanks. And for $50 cheaper. I think I will make the plunge. But will probably upgrade to the stainless steel housing.

Thinking I am getting a duda diesel plate chiller for xmas, and thinking a pump is needed. Going with the non “big” name brands on both. Should really be able to save some bulks.

I have one under the tree right now cant wait to use it. My wife wasn’t real happy when the package showed up and was wrapped in CHUGGER PUMP tape all the way around it lol.

It may be a couple weeks after christmas before I get one, so I would love to hear your thoughts after you give yours a spin.

I bought 2 of the SS pumpheads from Chugger and they work great. I broke one of my polysulfone heads and replaced it with the stainless. The plastic threads can be cross-threaded and the fitting itself can break off.

Thanks. I was leaning towards the SS as well. Do you have the inline model or center inlet. Looks like the inline would be more user friendly with the hoses and mounting.

I chose Chugger. I have the stainless, inline.

Thanks. And for $50 cheaper. I think I will make the plunge. But will probably upgrade to the stainless steel housing.

Thinking I am getting a duda diesel plate chiller for xmas, and thinking a pump is needed. Going with the non “big” name brands on both. Should really be able to save some bulks.[/quote]
PM me about a deal on a plate chiller

I picked up the SS Chugger about a month ago. I’ve only used it once but I was really happy with it. I still need pull the head apart to see if I’m missed any hops/trub etc in my clean up process. I’ll put it through it’s paces again on New Years.

Did have any issues priming it? I have never used or seen someone use a pump personally. So don’t know all the ends and outs yet.

I just got one with the SS head a couple months ago and I’ve been very happy with it. I haven’t had any problems priming it once I figured out how to arrange my hoses when hooking things up. While feeding everything with gravity had worked great for me previously it has been nice to rearrange my equipment to more comfortable heights and not having to worry if a siphon is going to start or stop. This is particularly the case when cooling with my therminator. Now that I have winter temp ground water I can cool 10 gallons to ale pitching temps impressively fast (at speeds I couldn’t relying on gravity to push worth through the therminator).

I got a SS one brand new off Ebay for $75 + shipping. The inlet and outlet ports were drilled slightly off center. I love my chugger and would certainly buy another one. I have had no priming issues but I oriented the ports vertically.

I only had one minor issue and that was the impeller would occasionally hang up and flow would die off. After researching a bit I found that I needed to drill out the impeller shaft hole to a larger tolerance. I don’t recall the exact drill bit size but I have had ZERO problems since. DO NOT run the pump dry.

This is a solid pump.

I remember seeing some complaints about tooling issues with some of the SS heads, but seems like most people are pleased with their Chugger pumps.

I think all the issues were resolved with the new pumps.