Lead on a keggle

I recently got a lead on a sort-of keggle: guy is selling kegs for $75 a pop and he’ll cut the top off for free. Is this a good deal? I figure I can always pay to have more welding done, and worst case scenario I’ve got a $75 15.5 gallon brewpot. Any way this is a bad idea?

Sounds like a decent deal. After using a converted keg for many years I switched to a 15 gallon stock pot, this guy has them for about $60 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-Group-ALSKSP009-60-qt-Aluminum-Stock-Pot-/370474736777?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564203dc89
. While the kegs look cool, the stock pot is much lighter, easier to clean and heats up quicker. I still have my keg, I’ve had it fitted with ports for an electric element, thermometer and sight glass. I plan to use it as a dedicated HLT when I get a permanent brewing area set up.

Be aware that for $75 you’re likely getting a stolen keg, one that was kept in exchange for the (wholly inadequate) deposit with a package store and the guy who loses out at the end of the transaction is the brewer.

True statement. Breweries have to buy (or lease) their kegs.

I don’t see the allure of keggles anyway, but I very well could be missing something.

+1.060!

well that sucks… I probably won’t buy it then. Time to keep looking.

[quote=“Glug Master”]Sounds like a decent deal. After using a converted keg for many years I switched to a 15 gallon stock pot, this guy has them for about $60 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-Group-ALSKSP009-60-qt-Aluminum-Stock-Pot-/370474736777?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564203dc89
. While the kegs look cool, the stock pot is much lighter, easier to clean and heats up quicker. I still have my keg, I’ve had it fitted with ports for an electric element, thermometer and sight glass. I plan to use it as a dedicated HLT when I get a permanent brewing area set up.[/quote]

Have you ever had your aluminum pots go bad? I want to invest in good equipment. Is there a way to insure that you don’t ruin it? I’ve just heard too many cautionary tales against aluminum.

An aluminum pot will last a long time, especially no more than they’re used for home brewing. You need to be mindful when cleaning them, you don’t want to use caustic or oxygen based cleaners on them, I just use hot water and a plastic scrubbie to get the gunk off mine. They’re also not as durable as SS, they can get dented if knocked around.

so no Oxyclean? Interesting. My BK is developing a bit of gunk on the inside, and I don’t know how to get it off. Maybe dish soap and a scrubbing pad?

Which is fine only if it is a BMC keg.

[quote=“ipa”]Which is fine only if it is a BMC keg.[/quote]It’s still stealing even if you disagree with the victim. Your conscience, though.

I think that it’s a bad deal. I have 2 and have gotten them both from scrap yards for $10 a piece. Used and angle grinder and 10 minutes later I had a pot. There are a million videos on line that teach how to convert a keg to a keggle. Good luck.

I have bought kegs in the past from brewers. I would ask them to let me know when they have a keg that they want to take out of service. Bought them for scrap prices (about $35). It may be worth asking the guy where he gets his kegs.