Late Addition of Honey @ the end of the boil

I am about to cook up the NB Honey Weizen. The directions call for the late addition of a pound of honey at the “end of the boil”.

Should I:
a - Turn the heat off at 0 minutes, stir in the honey, and start cooling the wort.
b - Turn the heat off at 0 minutes, stir in the honey, reheat to boiling, cool the wort.
c - Stir in the honey at 0 minutes, then turn off the heat and cool the wort.
d - Something else.

Whatcha think?

If adding to the kettle, I prefer to add the honey after the wort has cooled below 120F in order to retain as much honey character as possible. But IME the best time to add honey is after primary fermentation has slowed down.

[quote=“Obdoakes”]I am about to cook up the NB Honey Weizen. The directions call for the late addition of a pound of honey at the “end of the boil”.

Should I:
a - Turn the heat off at 0 minutes, stir in the honey, and start cooling the wort.
b - Turn the heat off at 0 minutes, stir in the honey, reheat to boiling, cool the wort.
c - Stir in the honey at 0 minutes, then turn off the heat and cool the wort.
d - Something else.

Whatcha think?[/quote]

I would think you can turn the flame off and add the honey. It will mix fine with hot wort. I’ve also added near the end of the boil, 10min left and that’s fine too. Just make sure if the flame is on when you add it that you stir well. You don’t want the honey going straight to the bottom and burning.

for my honey wheat, I turned off the heat, stirred it in, let it cool. Got no aromabut wasn’t expecting it either, but did have a crisp, dry, finish and flavor too.

FWIW, usually…stir in at zero/end of the boil actually means zero…no more flame else it wouldn’t be zero/end. :wink:

cheers