Larger. 2nd ferment

Great advice from the gallery above. I would add that you should consider a diacetyl rest once fermentation is close to complete. It will not only aid in clean up of byproducts, namely any diacetyl, but will also promote attenuation.

3 Likes

Hi loopie,

Will Diacetyl Rest happen by turning my fridge off after 2 weeks and letting the tempature increase? My brew fridge is in my garage and it’s pretty cold in the UK now. I don’t see it getting over 60F

I was also planning to transfer to a secondary, and then harvest the yeast as suggested by brewcat.

60° would be better than nothing. Mid 60°s would be better. Depending on how deep you want to dig into this there are all kinds of heating ideas on this forum. From can heaters that use a light to ceramic heaters. Many even use seeding pads.

1 Like

That is a beautiful thing. Nice avitar

You could crack the door of the fridge so the light stays on. If it’s an incandescent bulb it will give some heat. Just cover the carboy with a bag or something to protect it from the light. This is going to be a great beer I can almost taste it.

Lol! I almost wants to send you a bottle brewcat you’ve given so much great advice! I suppose if I get a blanket around the bottle too I can get it up to about 60F

Some say the D rest isn’t even necessary but I always do one as part of my process.

What temp should I aim for and Timescales should the d rest take?

Since you’re keeping it near 50F a D rest for 2-3 days at 60 would work I think. I htink the rule of thum is to raise the temperature about 8 degrees above the warmest fermentation temperature.

1 Like

Cool! Now I’ve just got to think about what to make next with the harvested larger. Any suggestions?

Now with a larger yeast cake… Look to a doppelbock… Since it will be a bigger ABV, it will need some time to “mature”… Sneezles61

Well it all depends what you like to drink. Generally I’ll run a series from light to dark so maybe a helles. People on this forum love their Vienna Lager and doppelbock so you could go there also

I agree. It’s easy and cheap insurance. Not only does it help clean up byproducts, it helps off gas any sulfur remaining in the beer. In addition, it only adds a couple days to the process. No brainer for me.

1 Like

I have a pretty broad pallet and enjoy drinking most beers. I’ve looked at this recipe for a doppelbock.

Only thing I wasn’t sure on is wether to add the DME at a later time in the boil.

Any recommendations?

Also just harvesting some of the yeast, will this be ok or do I need the whole yeast cake that’s settled at the bottom on my current pilsner?

Late extract brewing is usually done to benefit lighter colored beer. Not sure if it would be needed with a dopplebock.

I would save the entire yeast cake but only plan on pitching half. Save the other half for another lager.

2 Likes

Once I remove the lager, would you add water, mix the yeast cake and then put into 2 large jars to settle as I’ve seen on YouTube?

No you are increasing your risk for adding contaminates to your yeast. Swirl it around and pour into sanitized jars. Cover with plastic wrap.

2 Likes

I agree with @loopie_beer I stopped washing the yeast also. I swirl it and pour about 400 ml in each Mason jar label and date and store it in the fridge. If you’re timing is right you can pitch to the cake.

1 Like

Ok cool thanks guys.