Large yeast starter question

The Og for my next batch should be around 1.105. In the past when i made a yeast starter,i decanted, and pitched into the fermenter. with such a high gravity will i need more yeast? This time around I was going to make my yeast starter as normal and then decant and add more wort to the decanted starter. Is this a good step to take or is it unnecessary? This is only my 5th AG brew and hope to continously improve my methods this board has treated me well, Thanks for any suggestions.

also, total noob question but how do i calculate efficiency

Check www.mrmalty.com at the yeast calculator to find your starter size.
You’re into territory where it would make sense to brew up a 1.050 beer first and pitch onto the cake.

viewtopic.php?p=950381#p950381

This post give a simple formula for calculating efficiency.

When making a big beer like that, your efficiency will drop. If you are use to getting 70%, plan on getting 60%.

[quote=“Scott Miller”]Check http://www.mrmalty.com at the yeast calculator to find your starter size.
You’re into territory where it would make sense to brew up a 1.050 beer first and pitch onto the cake.[/quote]

+1! Doesn’t make sense to make a huge starter and waste money on DME. Just make a lower gravity beer and use the yeast cake for the bigger beer.

[quote=“dobe12”][quote=“Scott Miller”]Check http://www.mrmalty.com at the yeast calculator to find your starter size.
You’re into territory where it would make sense to brew up a 1.050 beer first and pitch onto the cake.[/quote]

+1! Doesn’t make sense to make a huge starter and waste money on DME. Just make a lower gravity beer and use the yeast cake for the bigger beer.[/quote]

+1 That’s the ticket! Pretty much my standard procedure when it’s time to reculture my house yeasties. Very efficient, and you get a supply of beer that’s ready fairly quickly as a bonus.

[quote=“The Professor”][quote=“dobe12”][quote=“Scott Miller”]Check http://www.mrmalty.com at the yeast calculator to find your starter size.

+1! Doesn’t make sense to make a huge starter and waste money on DME. Just make a lower gravity beer and use the yeast cake for the bigger beer.[/quote]

+1 That’s the ticket! Pretty much my standard procedure when it’s time to reculture my house yeasties. Very efficient, and you get a supply of beer that’s ready fairly quickly as a bonus.[/quote]
Yup, that’s exactly what I do, especially during lager season where BIG amounts of yeast need to be pitched: In the fall I brew an ale recipe, pitch lager yeast, ferment at ale temps and then harvest said lager yeast for use throughout the winter.

+1. I brew more 1.050 lagers than ales and I almost always use the yeast cake to brew up a bigger lager a few weeks later. It just seems like a waste of good lager yeast (and huge savings in time and money) to not brew up a nice doppelbock or Oktoberfest right after a helles or Vienna or whatever.