Lagering in a cornie keg

[quote=“Bier brauer”]Thank you for all the help!
I bought a small ceramic heater and built a “tent” in my workshop with the carboy inside and the heater blowing into it. I have been watching the temperature close so I can keep it around 75 degrees. I placed a 5 gallon bucket in front of the carboy so the heat would not be blown directley on the carboy but rather around it. So far it seems OK.
It was just my wrong understanding that every lager needed a D-rest. This is something I will research to find out more about it.
Brad[/quote]

It’s pretty simple. Take a gravity reading at the end of fermentation. After you get your reading, taste the sample. if you don’t taste diacetyl, you don’t need the rest.

I just read some interesting facts about Diacetyl and how it is formed. It did mention a test using two samples of the beer. One placed in a fridge, the other heated to 150-160 for 20 minutes then cooled. If both samples taste the same then it is not necessary to do the Diacetyl rest. From what I see, a few days at warmer temperatures usually clears it out. I fermented this beer at 50 degrees for two 15 days. From what I read 60 degrees is all I need for the Diacetyl rest. But that may be on the bottom side. I feel better getting it to at least 70 degrees.
When you lager in your kegs, after the lagering process do you keep it in the same keg? Do you run into a problem with more yeast settling out and being picked up through the dip tube? I cut about 3/8 inch off my dip tubes to keep it off the bottom of the keg.
Brad

I keep it even simpler that that. I just ferment cool for about two weeks and pull it out of the temp controlled fridge and place it on my basement floor for a week or two at about 65 degrees. At that point it is waiting in line for a keg to open up.

Any disadvantage to allowing a lager to condition for a few weeks at mid 60’s before lagering?

[quote=“560sdl”]

Any disadvantage to allowing a lager to condition for a few weeks at mid 60’s before lagering?[/quote]
My opinion is that, no, there is no advantage to doing that.

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“560sdl”]

Any disadvantage to allowing a lager to condition for a few weeks at mid 60’s before lagering?[/quote]
My opinion is that, no, there is no advantage to doing that.[/quote]

Thanks, my lagers have turned out pretty good but I was just curious if I was missing something. I have the capability to lager a secondary before transferring to a keg, but I cannot figure out the point