Lager

PLease recommend your favorite lager. Time to try some cold fermenting. Just got a used frig for the garage.

In order.

Classic American pils
Biere de garde (tho don’t need to primary super cool)
Bo pils
Helles
Schwarzbier
Weizenbock

Go forth and brew, lager brewer.

What does cold layering do anyway

I have a lager page on my site along with a number of recipes on my site, link below. I like pilsners, red lagers, dark lagers, festbiers, bocks, helles and amber lagers in general. Lately I have been taking some pilsner malt (Durst) and going 50/50 with some Weyermann Munich 10L and then just adding about 6 AAU of a Noble hop like Hallertau, Tettnanger, Spalt, Hersbrucker or Saaz for 60 mins and then trying that with various strains of lager yeast… 800, 830, 2124, 2308, 2206, 2278. Once you have the lager fermenting fridge, there’s no stopping you.

Ps. The lagering phase allows the beer to clear and smooth out. The colder the lager the better but the colder it is, the longer it can take to be ready. Try to lager in the 30s if possible. You may also hear about diacetyl rests which can help to clean up flavors that can be created during the cool primary… sulphury and buttery flavors come to mind. Cheers.

One of these days i gotta brew my favorite, Oktoberfest.

I’m not sure what you mean by cold layering?

But to the original question:

Bud Light, Miller Lite, Coo… oh wait (pretend to like good beer) I mean, Brooklyn Lager of which I just did my first clone attempt, B. Pilsner, and Schwartzbier (sp?). Those and I was only kind of kidding, I do love a nice crappy American Lager from time to time, although I haven’t made one yet.

[quote=“inhousebrew”]I’m not sure what you mean by cold layering?

[/quote]

Probably an auto correct issue.

favorite lagers

Dortmunder
marzen
vienna
pils

in that order.

Fest/Marzen
Pils
Helles Bock
Dopplebock
Baltic Porter
Schwarzbier

Not really a true lager, but Düsseldorf Altbier

I also have become a big fan of brewing hoppy lagers. I’ve done an Ofest and a Helles Bock recently that were hopped like an APA. Guess you could call it an American Pale Lager.

My favorite beers in the world mostly tend to be Central European style Lagers.

Helles
Dunkel (northern germany)
Maerzen
Munich Dunkel
Cz Pils
Schwartz Bier
Bock
Dortmunder
German Pils

Still have not tried the more remote Bohemian Dunkel - not sure how many comercial varieties there actually are. Guess I would have to travel the Cz republic for that.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]My favorite beers in the world mostly tend to be Central European style Lagers.
Still have not tried the more remote Bohemian Dunkel - not sure how many comercial varieties there actually are. Guess I would have to travel the Cz republic for that.[/quote]
I’m going in June and plan to find out. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Ken Lenard”][quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]My favorite beers in the world mostly tend to be Central European style Lagers.
Still have not tried the more remote Bohemian Dunkel - not sure how many comercial varieties there actually are. Guess I would have to travel the Cz republic for that.[/quote]
I’m going in June and plan to find out. :slight_smile: [/quote]

You lucky B!@&%$@d!

Down a few for me! :cheers:

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”][quote=“Ken Lenard”][quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]My favorite beers in the world mostly tend to be Central European style Lagers.
I’m going in June and plan to find out. :slight_smile: [/quote]

You lucky B!@&%$@d!

Down a few for me! :cheers: [/quote]
The plan is Munich → Vienna → Prague. Can’t get any better than that now, can it?

[quote=“Ken Lenard”]
The plan is Munich → Vienna → Prague. Can’t get any better than that now, can it?[/quote]

Only if you went to Koln and Dusseldorf :slight_smile:

1. Lone Star in the 16oz can, ice-cold, kill it in one or two long chugs so it doesn’t have time to warm up in your hand.
  2. Vienna Lager with a few more IBUs than the “style” guidelines suggest.
  3. Belgian Blonde.

[quote=“Pietro”]In order.

Classic American pils
Biere de garde (tho don’t need to primary super cool)
Bo pils
Helles
Schwarzbier
Weizenbock

Go forth and brew, lager brewer.[/quote]
Weizenbock is an ale, brutha!

I like:
Helles
Dunkel
Oktoberfest/Vienna
Schwarzbier
German and Bohemian Pils

I like these beers so much more than big double IPA’s, Imperial stouts, blah blah blah.

beersk, I assume you meant octoberfest/marzen since veinna is a different style.

[quote="Ken LenardI’m going in June and plan to find out. :slight_smile: [/quote]

You lucky B!@&%$@d!

Down a few for me! :cheers: [/quote]
The plan is Munich → Vienna → Prague. Can’t get any better than that now, can it?[/quote]

Hope you will be taking a notes, because we will expect a full report. I’m already thirsty thinking about the beer I won’t be drinking and it is only 9:30 in the morning. :wink:

[quote=“Beersk”]
I like these beers so much more than big double IPA’s, Imperial stouts, blah blah blah.[/quote]
Beersk: I hear you, my friend. We’re in the same boat.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]
Hope you will be taking a notes, because we will expect a full report. I’m already thirsty thinking about the beer I won’t be drinking and it is only 9:30 in the morning. :wink: [/quote]
I will do my best. I plan to snap some shots of the spots where we stop (okay, that sounded like Dr. Suess) and of the beers we try. The plan is tentative at the moment. My junior-in-HS daughter is going to Vienna with her HS symphony orchestra and we’re tagging along. On the days when they’re not performing, we’re going our own way. We plan to fly into Munich, head over to Vienna, watch them play and when they take a break in Italy, we’re headed to Prague and then back to Munich to fly home. I will file a full report.