lager yeast

Alright then, I’m about to embark on an endeavor to make 3 lagers this winter. The first would be a simple one, the next one would be a bock fest and the last, a maibock style. Now yeast is where I’ll start my journey. I read somewhere Whites lab has possibly obtained some BUDVAR yeast…… and ask you lager peeps, which yeast to look at? I do understand bocks can be made with either types of yeast, Sneezles61 :roll:

I’d go with WY2206. IIRC, WY2000 is Budvar. But I don’t think that’s the one I’d choose for what you list.

Thank you Denny. I’ll do some more research about fermenting, don’t need to ask too many questions. This will be first real attempt at lager. Sneezles61 :cheers:

I’ll second the 2206 suggestion. I’ll typically brew 5-8 lagers per winter, and use only one or two yeasts to do them all. So I’ll focus on a new lager strain each year and see how it works out. So far, 2206 has been my overall favorite (very versatile), with 34/70 as runner up. For specific beers, other lager strain have occasionally been outstanding, but not as widely applicable.

I ‘third’ the 2206 recommendation. I’ve used it for most of my lagers and been very pleased with the performance and results.

I used 34/70 for the first time a couple of months ago and have to say I was not that impressed with the first pitch. I subsequently used the (very thin and unimpressive) cake for a second lager and it started up quicker. Proof will be in the final product I suppose.

I’m brewing 12 gals of munich dunkel next week and will begin building up a starter with 2206 today.

[quote=“dannyboy58”][quote=“rebuiltcellars”]

I used 34/70 for the first time a couple of months ago and have to say I was not that impressed with the first pitch. I subsequently used the (very thin and unimpressive) cake for a second lager and it started up quicker. Proof will be in the final product I suppose.

I’m brewing 12 gals of munich dunkel next week and will begin building up a starter with 2206 today.[/quote][/quote]

was there something specific that did not impress?

I’ve been pretty pleased with 34/70 in the few times I used it. Worked good for me. According to my notes, I made one of my best helles with it. Re-pitched dregs twice with no issues. It wasn’t great for a true pils, but worked well for maltier styles.

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“dannyboy58”][quote=“rebuiltcellars”]

I’m brewing 12 gals of munich dunkel next week and will begin building up a starter with 2206 today.[/quote][/quote]

was there something specific that did not impress?[/quote]

Mostly the lag. It’s documented here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=125664

I’ve only used 34/70 lager and had no issues except a little slow to start but it finished strong. I did pitch three packages in a helles and kept repitching in more beers. No lag time with the slurry. I’ve subsequently made some good lagers with it.

was there something specific that did not impress?[/quote]

Mostly the lag. It’s documented here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=125664[/quote]

But how did the beer turn out? IMO, too many homebrewers are concerned about lag time when it makes little to no difference…within reasonable parameters, of course!

Denny, when would you start worrying about lag time (both ales and lagers)?

I agree that 34/70 is a good yeast. I prefer liquid yeast just because of the variety.

[quote=“Denny”]

But how did the beer turn out? IMO, too many homebrewers are concerned about lag time when it makes little to no difference…within reasonable parameters, of course![/quote]

Haven’t tasted it yet. As I said in original post that WILL be the deciding factor on the yeast for me. Will probably put the vienna on tap in a week or so. It’s been lagering almost a month now.

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]Denny, when would you start worrying about lag time (both ales and lagers)?

I agree that 34/70 is a good yeast. I prefer liquid yeast just because of the variety.[/quote]

Once it gets past 72 hours. And I probably wouldn’t do anything for another 24 after that…probably. :wink:

Denny I would say that’s a fair assessment and probably the same guidelines I would follow. To be fair, I have no empirical data to back that up, just that I have made a few lagers with 48-72 hour lag time turn out well.

I’m using 34/70 right now to make a 5 gallon steam beer and grow up yeast for a 1/2 bbl german pils. Pitched it at 60*, held for 3 days, then free-rise to 65, then 70. I noticed a pretty solid 2-2 1/2" krausen on top, which seems strange for a lager yeast. Just FYI, may be able to snap some pictures tonight, but it is already dissipating.

I have my 2206 starter second step going right now. Did a 4L first step, 5.5L second step for a munich dunkel I’ll brew either Wednesday or next Sunday depending on my available time and when the starter finishes. Was supposed to be a 6L second step but I ran a bit short on DME. The 5.5L just meets brewer’s friend’s requirements for an adequate starter.

I moved 5 gals of Vienna Lager fermented with 34/70 to the serving fridge after 3 weeks lagering. It’s cloudy compared to my other lagers at 3 weeks. They usually clear up nicely in 2-3 and are very drinkable.

This one has an apple aroma. Not really green apple, more like a sweet red apple aroma. The apple is prevalent in the taste too. Like a sweet but tart cidery then a bitter aftertaste on the back of the tongue.

This is the one I felt I over pitched with 8 packs of 34/70 to 11 gals of 1.052 wort at 50 degrees. Did not rehydrate, wort was very well aerated. I know…aeration is not important with dry yeast and I should have rehydrated but that’s still a shit ton of yeast.

After 24 hours no signs of fermentation, I let the temp gradually start to rise. One fermenter showed very light layer of krauesen at 72 hours at 52 degrees the other after 80 hours at 54 degrees.

I kept it at 53-54 degrees for 4 days then let it rise gradually to room temp, 68-70 where it stayed for about 3 weeks, then racked to kegs for lagering, It was 1.014 room temp straight from the fermenter so not really degassed. Thats what most of my lagers are with 2206.

I think Pietro described this aroma and flavor in another thread recently…

edit: So here’s the thread regarding the apple juice flavor. Interesting…didn’t rehydrate…stressed the yeast…I did the same yet pitched twice the amount of yeast to 11 gallons…similar result…probably won’t lager out huh Pietro? UGH…I repitched this yeast to 11 gals of pilsner…was a very thin looking yeast cake…

2nd edit: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=125664&p=1095474&hilit=apple+flavor#p1095474

So, my thought about this first attempt some lagers was to do a short batch of 2.5 gallons. I will do a BIAB, never done that also! This will be part of my starter, ramping up to a 5’er of the same, will aim for 1.055 for these first two and will be the same style. I will use pale malt as I have a fresh sack. Pabst? From there a bock, aiming for 1.060, then maibock, 1.070. Yes, I will use mostly Munich malt for the second, and will need about a fifty fifty blend of pilsner and munich for the maibock. I will add some specialty to both of the latter two. I will get my lager yeast this W/E and get started with a one liter to ramp up. I’m not sure ifn I’ll use traditional hops, but will be gentle… Sneezles61 :cheers:

Plan sounds great! Good luck and welcome to lagering! I’ve had a lot of fun with lagers since I made the leap. Even brewers who generally drink ales will be surprised how clean and flavorful home brewed lagers can taste :cheers:

On my thread about critiquing my octoberfest I thought I experienced a similar taste. After I cleared the bottom of the keg and racked it over to another keg I don’t get that flavor anymore. I’m thinking it was the dead yeast cells. I lagered it for 6 months so a lot settled out. It’s quite tasty now. Serving it at the octoberfest party next Saturday.

Thank you… Will be fun and will need to ask more as I go… Sneezles61 :cheers: