Lager Workarounds Question?

I just saw Brewing TV Episode 53: Lager Workarounds again. I really want to brew the Oktoberfest, or Aletoberfest Michael Dawson brewed in that episode this fall.

Has anyone tried fermenting a lager yeast like WY2124 at ale temperatures, or an Aletoberfest beer with US05?

Go with US-05 in the upper 50s - you’ll get a very clean beer. Lager yeast fermented at ale temps will give you off flavors.

I fermented a lager using Wyeast California lager at 58F. Came out surprisingly well.

Even better than 05 for pseudo lagers is WY1007. Much cleaner IMO.

I was inspired by that too. I just bottled a Pseudo Pilsner using that yeast, fermented in a swamp cooler with the windows open, so it was probably around the mid fifties most of the time. I tasted it at bottling time and it was fine, I’ll let you know in a week or so if it really tastes like a lager, though.

I used it in a marzen and a schwarz, before I had temperature control, with good results.

How would Wyeast California Lager yeast make a good Pilsner fermenting between 58-68 degrees? I’m dying to brew a good Pilsner.

I kept mine in the upper 50’s (56-58ish). Wyeast says that yeast will hold it’s lager characteristics up to 64F. So up to 64F you should be fine. Higher than that and you’re gonna start getting ale characteristics from that yeast. It’s such a small window, I’d say keep it under 60F and you can make a good lagerish beer.

I used the 2124 for a psuedo maibock and it sat at no cooler than 59F the whole time. Never got above 64F except for D-rest but it came out very clean

What temp do you recommend for WY1007 to make a pseudo-lager? I used US05 in a cream ale that got down to 56 or so and it fermented fully but had that dreaded green apple taste for a few weeks.

I use it at as close to 52-55F as I can get.

I use it at as close to 52-55F as I can get.[/quote]

At 52-55 wouldn’t that pretty much be an actual lager?

At 52-55 wouldn’t that pretty much be an actual lager?[/quote]

It would if it was lager yeast, but it’s ale yeast.

It would if it was lager yeast, but it’s ale yeast.[/quote]

It occured to me that if you can manage 52-55 there’s no need to do a psuedo lager.

It would if it was lager yeast, but it’s ale yeast.[/quote]

It occured to me that if you can manage 52-55 there’s no need to do a psuedo lager.[/quote]

Yep. But if you can only manage 60-62, 1007 makes a great pseudo lager at those temps, too.

I totally agree.