Lager Question

I just got done brewing my 5th brew and first attempt at a lager. I’m concerned that I screwed something up. Everything seem to be going according to plan until I got to chilling the wort down. As I was using a wort chiller to cool the wort down, I noticed a change that I haven’t seen before. At about 100 degrees, I noticed that it started to get a lighter sludge appearance to it. Kind of like a white cloud appearance in places. I was cooling it outside where it is currently 24 degrees and didn’t know if that played a factor or not.

I went ahead and cooled it to about 70 degrees and put it in the primary. Added a rehydrated yeast and continued on with the directions. Once I got done with it and set it in the fermenting area that I’m using, the sludge (not sure what better word to describe it) was still present. It all started to settle to the bottom after about 15 minutes of sitting.

Is this normal for a lager or did I do something wrong? The four ale’s that I brewed didn’t do this and I’m concerned I messed something up here. Thanks for your help.

Was this your first time using a wort chiller?

What you are describing sounds simply like cold break, which are proteins coagulating due to rapid chilling of the wort. These sink to the bottom and along with them, take DMS/SMM and other compounds that you don’t want in your beer.

My bigger concern is that you didn’t chill it below 70. What temp are you fermenting at?

And what yeast are you using. Lagers need a cold ferment. Typically somewhere in the 50 degree range. If it’s 20* outside your basement may well do the trick as I’ve fermented a lager in the basement here in MN and been fine. Temp depends on the yeast though.

I have used the chiller twice before and all turned out great. This all started to occur at about he 100 degree mark. It all has settled to the bottom now and the rest looks good. I used a dry yeast but did hydrate it (my first time doing that). Also, I used Whirlfloc tablets for the first time. I usually chill down to 70 degrees but started to panic a little when I saw this new development so took the chiller out at about 75 degrees.

As far as fermenting temps…the directions said to start off at 60-65 degrees for the first 1-3 days then move to a spot that is 48-60 degrees for 7-10 days. After that, put it in a secondary and move to 36-45 degrees. I have all of that available to me but right now it is in a spot that the ambiant temp is 62 degrees. Should I move it to a cooler spot? I’m using the Saflager S-23 yeast that has a temp range of 51-75.

Your advice is appreciated.

My guess is also cold break proteins.Probably not a problem.
I’ve done 3 batches with s-23 in the past year, and pretty much follow your schedule. I go 1-2 days at low 60s until it’s bubbling well, then move it to low to mid 40s for about a week. Then increase to around 65 for 24-48 hrs for diacetyl rest, then back down to the 40s. I then leave it in the primary for a total of 3 weeks before racking it to a secondary for lagering at 30-45(depending on the temp of my garage). I currently have an Oktoberfest lagering for the past 4 weeks that I’m thinking of bottling, and a black lager that I’ll keep for at least another 6 weeks before bottling.
IMO, lagers are more work, and a little more worry, but worth it.
Good Luck, Have Fun

That’s coagulated proteins from using the Whirfloc tab. Thats what it does.

[quote=“IBRACN”]As far as fermenting temps…the directions said to start off at 60-65 degrees for the first 1-3 days then move to a spot that is 48-60 degrees for 7-10 days. After that, put it in a secondary and move to 36-45 degrees. I have all of that available to me but right now it is in a spot that the ambiant temp is 62 degrees. Should I move it to a cooler spot? I’m using the Saflager S-23 yeast that has a temp range of 51-75.

Your advice is appreciated.[/quote]

Since you asked…that’s pretty bad advice. You should ferment lagers in the high 40s to mid 50s and chill to a few degrees below that before pitching. The concept of [pitching warm is to give the yeast a fast start. Unfortunately, you’re trading an unnecessarily fast start for poor beer flavor. Pitching at that temp will create fruity esters that you don’t want in a lager. And next time, see if you can get 34/70 or S-189 dry lager yeast. I wish you better luck than I’ve had with S-23.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“IBRACN”]As far as fermenting temps…the directions said to start off at 60-65 degrees for the first 1-3 days then move to a spot that is 48-60 degrees for 7-10 days. After that, put it in a secondary and move to 36-45 degrees. I have all of that available to me but right now it is in a spot that the ambiant temp is 62 degrees. Should I move it to a cooler spot? I’m using the Saflager S-23 yeast that has a temp range of 51-75.

Your advice is appreciated.[/quote]

Since you asked…that’s pretty bad advice. You should ferment lagers in the high 40s to mid 50s and chill to a few degrees below that before pitching. The concept of [pitching warm is to give the yeast a fast start. Unfortunately, you’re trading an unnecessarily fast start for poor beer flavor. Pitching at that temp will create fruity esters that you don’t want in a lager. And next time, see if you can get 34/70 or S-189 dry lager yeast. I wish you better luck than I’ve had with S-23.[/quote]

Denny has brewed exactly eleventy billion more beers than I, most with greater flavor, but I would echo his sentiments here on pitching/ferm temp.