Lager question..!DUMB QUESTION ALERT!

Once a lager has finished primary and i put it in the chest freezer to lager at 34 degrees what happens to the flavor profile?..does it continue to change or does the cold temps just clear the beer out?..My lager has been @34 for 2 days and it tastes very good…will it get better or simply get clear?..Srry for the dumb question this is my first lager

Simplest answer: yes, it changes.

Less simple answer: The beer ‘cleans up and clears up’ in during the lagering period, rounding out the flavors, making everything ‘subtle’, and giving the beer enhanced clarity.

Not-at-all-simple answer: extended cold-conditioning causes many compounds, including yeast and particularly polyphenols to drop out of solution. The largest polyphenols (tannins) precipitating out creates subtle, understated flavors to the drinker. My first lager (Oktoberfest) tasted GREAT after primary, but it definitely got better after lagering (or maybe that was just because I was itchin’ to drink it!)

[quote=“Pietro”]Simplest answer: yes, it changes.

Less simple answer: The beer ‘cleans up and clears up’ in during the lagering period, rounding out the flavors, making everything ‘subtle’, and giving the beer enhanced clarity.

Not-at-all-simple answer: extended cold-conditioning causes many compounds, including yeast and particularly polyphenols to drop out of solution. The largest polyphenols (tannins) precipitating out creates subtle, understated flavors to the drinker. My first lager (Oktoberfest) tasted GREAT after primary, but it definitely got better after lagering (or maybe that was just because I was itchin’ to drink it!)[/quote]

oh ok cool…cheers

+1
My lagers smell tasty early on but I definitely do not enjoy them. Even on tap 8 weeks after brew day, there is usually a character flaw I detect. But at the 10-12 week range, money!!! I’d serve them to Germans.

[quote=“brewingdan”]+1
My lagers smell tasty early on but I definitely do not enjoy them. Even on tap 8 weeks after brew day, there is usually a character flaw I detect. But at the 10-12 week range, money!!! I’d serve them to Germans.[/quote]

Can you put your finger on what flaw? Just not subtle enough?

I ask because I’m not a huge lager brewer, but definitely enjoy them (though not the production strangleholds they put on my current system).

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“brewingdan”]+1
My lagers smell tasty early on but I definitely do not enjoy them. Even on tap 8 weeks after brew day, there is usually a character flaw I detect. But at the 10-12 week range, money!!! I’d serve them to Germans.[/quote]

Can you put your finger on what flaw? Just not subtle enough?

I ask because I’m not a huge lager brewer, but definitely enjoy them (though not the production strangleholds they put on my current system).[/quote]

More like a murky yeasty flavor. I can taste the final beer through it all, but it hasn’t come to the forefront yet.

I don’t think it is a dumb question at all.