Lager pitch temp question

So we brewed the Oktoberfest 5 gal, all grain yesterday. I may have gotten my wires crossed on pitching the yeast however. I made 2 , 1 liter starters, one on the stir plate and one shaken, plus we direct pitched another packet when my son arrived with it ( no time to make a starter).

Our post boil SG was 1.059.

We cooled it to about 68 deg and pitched the yeast which as also at the same temp. Then I lifted the beer into the temp controlled freezer and set it for 51 deg.

Reading the Palmer manual last night I see I should have brought the beer and starters down to the 51 deg and then pitched.

We used the Wyeast 2633 for this batch.

I have lots of activity in the primary this morning ( about 16 hours after pitching). Beer is at 51 deg.

Should I take any further steps to aid in getting good beer? I think I need to do a few days at 62 deg after the primary is finished and before lagering.

I should have caught the pitch temp requirement but somehow glossed over that in the excitement. Hopefully it turns out ok.

You’ll be fine. Although yeast prefer a raise in temp rather than a drop it’s clear you pitched a healthy amount of yeast. Now, sit back and relax. Although you’ll likely not need a d-rest I consider it cheap and easy insurance.

Thanks Loopie, I will definitely do a d-rest just to be sure.

I do this most of the time… I just want the yeast to get rolling. Ales and Lagers… I am by no means any kind of a lager, er, cold fermenting whiz… It works fine… RDWHAHB. Sneezles61

Sounds like the yeast accepted your temperature change and kept on chugging. I wouldn’t worry about it but I’d definitely do a D rest for a couple days after things start to wind down.

I usually chill to at or below my ferm temp before I pitch but then sometimes I get a little lag before things get rolling.

Thanks, next time I will slow down a bit and pay more attention. I have gotten so accustomed to cooling the wort as fast as possible, and get the yeast pitched and airlock on. I always feel the beer is so vulnerable when sitting with no yeast working on it.

It’s still bubbling away this morning and looks good. Temp is holding pretty steady at 51.

There are differences of opinion on chilling. Some believe chilling below 100 as quickly as possible is best practice while there are large numbers of brewers who practice the “no chill” method to economize their water use.

I’ve let wort sit overnight before pitching with no ill affects whatsoever. I understand your concerns. You’ll find the process that works for you. If this beer turns out great you may decide this is the way to go on lagers. There’s certainly something to be said for a fast and robust start to fermentation. Keep us posted.

3 Likes