Lager in Corny

Due to space constraints in my freezer I have come to realize that I am going to have to Lager my next beer in a corny starting in a couple of days. I have read about this a little and know that it is possible. I was thinking of putting in enough c02 to seal the keg then venting it a couple of times to get rid of the Oxygen. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

That’ll work. I did exactly that for my last two lagers. Then reattached the CO2 lines (set at normal dispensing pressure) at the 6-week point; two weeks later I had delicously carb’d lagers.

:cheers:

Thanks, Stormy. Do you recommend venting it at any time after the initial sealing, after the CO2 is disconnected. I like the idea of carbing it after week 6. I was wondering if I should rack it again to another Corny but that seemed redundant. How much trube do you typically end up tapping off before you have drinkable beer?

Skol!

I would just hook up th co2 and leave it connected while you lager, no reason to wait, unless you don’t have a spare gas line at the moment. And no need to vent the keg after you initially purge the O2. I don’t end up with much trub at the bottom of the keg with lagers, I ususally do a d-rest after 1-2 weeks and then let it sit cold for another week after that before kegging so most of the yeast drops out before it gets to the keg.

[quote=“skolvikes”]Thanks, Stormy. Do you recommend venting it at any time after the initial sealing, after the CO2 is disconnected. I like the idea of carbing it after week 6. I was wondering if I should rack it again to another Corny but that seemed redundant. How much trube do you typically end up tapping off before you have drinkable beer?

Skol![/quote]

I saw no reason to vent at any time. In fact, the CO2 is actually absorb by the beer during the lagering phase…just like when naturally carbing. As I recall, I probably hit each with a shot of co2 at least once during the lagering phase…just for the hell of it.

I tapped two pints of each for clear beer. About the same as with my ales. With my next lager, i think I will either use a carboy for lagering or rack to a second corny before carbing. There was a butt-load of traub around the pickup on at empty. Might be able to get by with only 1 pint of “throw-away” next time.

Regarding hook-up and leave during lagering, I read a post that someone said their beer did not clear as much as expected because the absorbed CO2 kept “stuff” in suspension longer and didn’t allow it to drop out. I don’t know if that’s true or anecdotal, but I see no reason to keep it hooked up other than to be drinking it earlier. If it is true, then I would not use that practice in the future. I’m never in that much of a hurry, so waiting and getting a more clear beer is better in my book.

FWIW, my typical lager schedule is: primary for 4-6 weeks; d-rest for 2-3 days; lagering for 1-6 months; carbing 10-14 days; drinking til empty; repeat. :wink: There is no doubt in my mind that my lagers benefit from the long-slow process. They are f’n delicious.

cheers.

I’m not sure there’s much benefit to raising the temp after 4-6 weeks but I could be wrong. If you’re going to do a d-rest, I think ideally it would be towards the end of primary activity, which IME is after about a week to 10 days. It would seem that after 6 weeks the yeast have done just about all they’re going to and I’m not sure raising the temp a few degrees is going to change that. I’m not saying there’s any detriment but I’m just not sure it helps any.
As for the beer not clearing due to CO2 I haven’t experienced that at all, not sure why it would really matter.

Thanks, everyone for the comments. I’m gong to rack it this weekend with enough C02 to seal the keg then hit it with CO2 after a couple of weeks “for the hell of it” as Stormy said. then Carb from week 4-6 depending on when I am planning on drinking it.

Skol!

I tapped the Czech Pilsner last night after 6 weeks of lagering at 36 degrees including 2 weeks of carbing and it is amazing. Very clean with great malt and slight hop flavor. This will be my lawnmower this summer for sure if it lasts that long. I am going to lager in corny’s from now on. Thanks everyone for the assistance.

SKOL!

[quote=“skolvikes”]I tapped the Czech Pilsner last night after 6 weeks of lagering at 36 degrees including 2 weeks of carbing and it is amazing. Very clean with great malt and slight hop flavor. This will be my lawnmower this summer for sure if it lasts that long. I am going to lager in corny’s from now on. Thanks everyone for the assistance.

SKOL![/quote]

Happy to hear it turned out well,

:cheers: