Lager fermentation

I have 2 5 gallon batches going on about 12 days of fermentation. 2 days ago my gravity reading was about 1.025 when I did my rest to 60 degrees. I just took a reading and now it is 1.010. My airlock on both batches act as though i am still fermenting. bubling every 10 seconds This is my second lager and the first one had no activity after 10 days and a d rest. This is a helles using wyeasts 2421. What would be my best action at this point. I atleast want to give it 2 more days but should I bring it back down to 48 where I started then rack to lager or just let it sit at 60 then rack to lager.

I would let it sit another day (total of three), rack to secondary on 3rd day, then start dialing back to lagering temps, about 3*-5* per day until you reach 33*.

I ended up letting it sit another day and took a reading at 1.008. lowered it back down to 50 degrees and the bubling stopped. I guess raising the temp can cause airlock activity. I kegged it today and set the thermostat to 45 degrees and will continue to lower it 5 degrees a day. This only my second lager, on ales I usually don’t take hydrometer reading at all just let it ferment out 2 weeks and call it good. I probably should though.

Just did my first lager last weekend. Why do you drop only 5deg per day instead of just dropping it all the way down?

the yeast prefer it that way

Technically it is to avoid shocking the yeast into submission, so that they will continue to do things that help the beer. A quick drop to 32 will cause them to quickly drop out of suspension, leaving your beer in its un-lagered state…though I have done it and never had much problems. But I leave it in my primary for at least a month.

:cheers:

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]Technically it is to avoid shocking the yeast into submission, so that they will continue to do things that help the beer. A quick drop to 32 will cause them to quickly drop out of suspension, leaving your beer in its un-lagered state…though I have done it and never had much problems. But I leave it in my primary for at least a month.

:cheers: [/quote]
Yeah, if the yeast are still active its a good idea to drop the temp slowly. If the ferm is done you can cold crash it without problems. The colder the lagering stage the cleaner/clearer beer but the LONGER it takes. I always lager for at least 6 weeks for a regular light lager and my Oktoberfest (party’s tomorrow :cheers: ) is made in Marzen and lagered until late Sept. / early Oct.