Lager fermentation vessel

Since lager fermentation is slightly less vigorous than ales…could I put a 3G batch into a 3G fermenter with a blowoff tube? Do I need to remove it from the yeast cake during lagering?

No you will still need head space. Generally you would lager in a secondary or keg. You could lager in the bottle also

Curious about lagering in bottle…prime it…bottle it…lager it…will it carb at lager temps? Since it will be in there quite long?

Prime it, bottle it, condition it, lager it.

As far as your 3gal fermenter. Carefully and accurately measure it out to figure out the total volume. The krausen/activity on a lager isn’t near as much as an ale. If you have a about an inch over the 3gal mark I would try it with a blow off.

uncdeo
Since lager fermentation is slightly less vigorous than ales…could I put a 3G batch into a 3G fermenter with a blowoff tube? Do I need to remove it from the yeast cake during lagering?

There’s no reason you can’t do a 3G batch in a 5G carboy avoiding the hassle of a blow off tube, I do it all the time.
After 3 weeks or so I rack into a 3G carboy leaving the yeast cake behind, there is still plenty of yeast in suspension.

Both of my 5g are full :slight_smile:

How long does primary fermentation last typically? How high and how long does a typical d-rest last?

Depends. At 50° I’ve had fermentation last 2 weeks. Typically a d rest last s 3 days if it’s needed. Pitch a healthy amount of yeast and it’s not needed. But I do one as extra insurance since you simply raise the temps.

Thanks Loopie!

D-rest after all visible signs of fermentation are over? Or when it slows down?