Lager carbonation

After brewing my third lager, I’m getting low carbonation. I lagered each one for about a month at 34-38 deg. As I understand, sometimes lagers need some more yeast at bottling. Anyone else had to add yeast to thei lager? If so, which kind do you use?

Possible you needed more yeast. But I doubt it.

How long has the beer been in the bottle? What temp did you store the bottles at?

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Possible you needed more yeast. But I doubt it.

How long has the beer been in the bottle? What temp did you store the bottles at?[/quote]

These last two batches have been in the bottle for a week and a half. The pilsner that I made a few months ago never really got much carbonation. I stored them in a closet in my house for two weeks (at least the pilsner. The other two are still there). We have the house temp set at 73 F. I know that the floor of the closet is a little lower but here in the south it’s not going to be much lower than 64 or so.

You need more time. 3-4 weeks. And if you can get them in a warmer area that will help.

I’ve never found a need for more yeast after lagering, but there are some on this forum that advocate always adding a bit as “cheap insurance”. Can’t really argue with that, as it doesn’t do any harm, but as said I haven’t found it nessasary.

A long lager will drop almost all the yeast out of suspension, so what is left can take a long time to consume the priming sugar. Give the already bottled beer more time, your 72F closet seems like a fine place. If it makes you feel better, add half a teaspoon of dried yeast to your next batch just before bottling. Any yeast strain that isn’t more attenuating than what you used will work fine.

Thanks, guys. I guess I can wait longer to drink my beer…though its gonna be hard. Bottled a three-gallon batch of a trial version of a recipe for a classic American Lager and five gallons of NB’s Bavarian Dunkel. I put half of the Dunkel in my party pig, so I’m using the bottles of the American lager to see when the pig is ready to put in the refrigerator.

You may have missed my advice in the past. It’s been a while sense I’ve posted it.

When you bottle, fill one soda bottle, any size. Squeeze the O2 out and screw the cap on. The bottle will expand showing you what is happening in the glass bottles.

But even if the soda bottle is expanded in 1 week, it still needs time to fully dissolve into the liquid. Don’t try one before 3 weeks.

+1 to Nighthawk. Started using his technique about 1/2 dozen batches ago, and it does give you some ‘peace of mind’. Now, I don’t open a bottle to sample until the soda bottle is firm.

I might hafta start trying that. Depending on the style, I generally use 1 clear bottle and 2-3 green bottles that I’ll visually inspect and check on carbonation.

To the OP - did you use a carbonation calculator to determine the proper amount of priming sugar and if so, did you input a beer temp in the 60s (end of primary fermentation) or in the 30s (lagering)?