La Petite Orange questions

I just got a new kettle and burner and wort chiller and carboy and carboy heater and temp controller that i’m kind of excited to use with this kit. I’d like to do a full boil of ~6 gallons just to try out my new stuff :slight_smile: I got the Wyeast 3787 to use with it.

Will I need a yeast starter? And should I start with 6 gallons of water? Thanks for any info!!!

[quote=“UncDeo”]I just got a new kettle and burner and wort chiller and carboy and carboy heater and temp controller that i’m kind of excited to use with this kit. I’d like to do a full boil of ~6 gallons just to try out my new stuff :slight_smile: I got the Wyeast 3787 to use with it.

Will I need a yeast starter? And should I start with 6 gallons of water? Thanks for any info!!![/quote]

I would recommend a starter.

What size kettle did you get?

The amount of water you start with will depend on how much boils off. It could be .75-1.0 gal. in an hour.

I aim for 5.5 in the fermenter, so I start with 6.5 wort in the BK.

If your volume ends up low and your OG high, you can always top off with cold water until you nail the boil-off rate.

10g kettle.

Do a google search for “yeast starter calculator”. I use the one on brewersfriend.com. Type in your OG and the date of your yeast and it will tell you if you need a starter and how big of one you need.

Coincidentally, I just ordered the La Petite Orange kit today, but instead of the Belgian abbey yeast, I’m planning on pitching a leftover packet of the dry Belle Saison yeast that I have on hand and want to use before it gets too old. Should be interesting! :cheers:

I brew this one regularly. I always make a 650 ml small starter using the NB starter kit. The yeast you mention is what I use and is well known as a slow starter, so for a Sunday brew day I usually the culture on Thursday night. I usually do this as a partial boil (about 3 gallons) and it turns out great. If you go full boil, make sure you agitate things or aerate to put some oxygen back into the wort. Good luck. The beer is probably my favorite NB kit.