Kveik Yeast Discussion

I sampled both my fermented brews… The Kviek seems to have stripped away the hops… the 001 left them in tact… I have to keg the Kviek and get it carbing so a true side by side comparison can be done. Sneezles61

This is my first brew using kveik and i did it the “traditional” way.
Really looking forward to doing more experiments with it.
Im more of an english mild kinda guy these day, so i think the kveik will shine with that style.
The beer i made was basically a barley wine with very low hops. Only used .75oz at 60 and .25oz at 10.
Tastes good and it is changing daily.

I roasted a lb of grain,made juniper infused water, and boiled it with fire.
Quite the project.

3 Likes

Looks pretty traditional, with the exception on that cooler.
I just got so Voss to try. Excited to complete using all the available strains and form an opinion as to a favorite

That cooler is legit. It was found back in the early 1900s next the the Kensington Runestone!

2 Likes

I hope it held some traditional grogg!! I’ve a book about that Runestone… actually verifying its authenticity… I’ll read it this winter, whilst imbibing on a winter warmer! Sneezles61

1 Like

I think they planted it. Lol
Crazy story, though.
I lived in Alexandria and just recently moved to Clinton, WI.

Indeed smells strong. If you open the vial or packed. Me happy with the strain kviek Voss. At the moment out. Thursday and sat brew with. Us5 dry yeast.

1 Like

I’ve pitched my only twice… I’ll keep using it until it gets a hint of background funk… then toss it out. Sneezles61

Ive decided to make a crab apple wine with the kveik.
Ill also be making a mixed berry wine, as well.
The berries will mostly be elderberries and wild grapes.
I live across the highway from a cool little county park. It has trails and most of them are overgrown, so its evident that no one walks them besides me.
I sure love free fermentables!
Im hoping the kveik will do its thing and make some clear, crisp wines.
I know a few people that have made meads with it, and they are outstanding.
Skål!

1 Like

I am not sure I’ve heard of a crisp wine… Could you embellish some more? Sneezles61

It refers to a wine being dry and acidic.
For me, the flavor doesnt linger about too long, like a sweeter, heavier wine.
I think the crab apples will provide some interesting flavors and will turn out dry as a bone because of the high temp and attenuation of the kveik.
Only time will tell.
Cheers!

1 Like

What is the difference between wine and still cider?

ABV - Cider is 7% and less
And has more residual sugars.
Wine is bigger and drier.

How much sugar do you add to up the ABV?

Around 2 lbs/gallon depending on fruit.

Do you just use the juice from the apples or the solids as well ? I make all kinds of fruit wine and start it with crushed fruit wondering if one would do the same with apples.

My other question is why would you use kveik yeast instead of wine yeast

Yup. I crush the fruit and put the solids in a bag.
As far as using kveik…
I have a ton of it from my friend, Ivar, that lives near Voss.
It is alcohol tolerant, ferments at warm temps, and I do many experiments with my brewing.
I’m one of the “I-wonder-what-would-happen-if” kinda guys.
Thats why I’m using the kveik…because i can.

1 Like

I’ve used Yeast Bay’s Voss Kveik the last couple of years for my cider, and will probably continue using it. I just pitch it directly into the must without any sulfites and count on the robustness of the yeast to take care of the details. It really seems to preserve more apple flavor in the finished cider than any other strains I’ve tried, and I’ve used LOTS of different strains in cider. I think it would work great in crabapple wine, as the acidity of the must doesn’t seem to affect this yeast. Of course, there’s no guarantee that a local Voss Kveik would be anything similar to what Yeast Bay sells. In fact, it’s more likely than not a different strain or strains.

1 Like