Kveik Yeast Discussion

Which strain did you use?

Voss … Sneezles61

1 Like

I have everything I need so probably this afternoon I will be making a starter to use the Hornindal in an IPA this week. Will definitely save some to use in something less hoppy just to get a better idea of what kind of taste you get. I’m not that good at picking out subtle tastes and the huge amount of hops can mask them for me.

I reused the Voss all last winter and found it was clean enough to use for a few styles without temp control so I have a pack of it also.

So how do you pronounce Hornindal? I like something like “he ate an entire rhino, Honindal”. :smirk:

2 Likes

That’s what I’m going with…haha

[quote=“hd4mark, post:123, topic:26015”]
So how do you pronounce Hornindal?
[/quote]https://translate.google.com/#no/en/kveik voss hornindal
Hit the speaker button to hear it pronounced by your robot

1 Like

[quote=“squeegeethree, post:125, topic:26015, full:true”]

Someone needs to check on her…i think she’s had a stroke!

Mines bubbling away… The Australian I really under pitched… Its kinda slacking… I’m also going to use a spunding valve for the last half of the fermentation…
I went with a fairly simple grain bill… 10 LBS pilsner 10 LBS Marris Otter… 10 oz C-120… 1-1/4 oz German Hercules… 4 oz UK progress @10 minutes… What little I sampled, it didn’t seem too strong, malt wise. Sneezles61

Sounds more like whore nindal lol

1 Like

:scream: Sneezles61

I’ve been drinking the Hornindal all week at I’m quite enjoying it. It super floc’ed for me. One of the clearest brews I’ve made for a while (as a non-cold crasher/bottler)

I’ll check my gravity today… Our downstairs has been quite cool last week, so both the Kviek and 009 have been very slow… I put them up on a table closer to a window and had a bit more activity… I’m very curious… Sneezles61
Gravity of Kviek is at 1.007… Australian at 1.005… I was afraid I didn’t pitch enough Australian yeast… I didn’t see much action either… So, I sampled the Kviek and, well, its a pretty clean tasting sample…

I checked gravity on mine today. They were brewed 5/16. Both hornindal and voss are at 1.016. The fermometers read 65 on both. Guess I should have kept them warm longer than the first couple days…

The Voss looks super clear with just a few bubbles on the surface. The hornindal surface is almost covered wtih yeast rafts. Both smell pretty good. I just sanitized a hydrometer and dropped it in so there was no sample to taste unfortunately.

I’d like them to ferment a little lower if possible so I set them outside in my basement stair well. It’s about 89 out right now. May be too late to try and kickstart them but it wasn’t much effort considering I’ve ignored it for almost a month.

I would say… like your thinking… Bring the temp up to let them finish up… Sneezles61

That’s a month. They have to be done.

Probably but won’t hurt to let it warm up for the day just to see…there’s some airlock activity but the surface is still…likely just off gassing from the change in temp/pressure.

Did you add unfermentables or protein rich adjuncts

Nope. 2 row, Munich and c40.

Go ahead, grab that canoe paddle and give it a healthy stirring… In fact, see how long you can keep a whirlpool going!!:scream: Just clowning… I’d give it a few days to see if it’ll wake up a bit at the warmer temp… Sneezles61

Nope. No stirring, no shaking and no swirling. Warmer temps don’t seem to be tempting the yeast to wake up either. The yeast on the surface of the hornindal have dropped. I’ll probably bring them into the basement tomorow morning and keg them in a day or 2. I have some pilsner to keg tomorrow.

I’ve mine cold crashing… Was going to keg tonight, but band practice was switched… An extra day cold crashing won’t hurt one bit… I haven’t even thought about O-fest yet… Perhaps this yeast could go into a 5-er? Sneezles61