Kveik Yeast Discussion

Any breweries close to you willing to sell you sacks? Sneezles61

The distillery near me gets semi loads of grain delivered at a time. Their bags are these giant 250lb sacks. I’m sure they wouldn’t miss 10 lbs lol.

1 Like

Ok it’s been a week and the Hornindal (no starter) took it from 12 Brix to 5 Brix. I’m still learning how to use my refractometer but if this calculator is correct that means it’s done at 1.002. Which I guess is possible. :open_mouth:

I had a tough time trying to get the computer to help resolve my refractometer issues… So I bought a finishing hydrometer… Then best part… You get a sample of whats to come! Sneezles61

Sanitizing a pipette vs a thief is my new joy. I have to admit I’m trusting the northern brewer calculations on adjusting for alcohol refraction. If you take temperature into account i guess it might be more like 1.004. I check it in a few days I suppose.

@squeegeethree If your gravity conversions are correct you got a lot better attenuation that I did. I’m at 10 days and my Hornindal is at 1.014, Voss at 1.020.

I pitched with no starter at 84 with blow off hoses in each, fluffy krauesen on the horn in a few hours, lightter krauesen on the voss, both cooled to 78ish my midnight of brew day so I put a space heater on and kept them 80-82ish for 24 hours, frauesen rose almost to the top of the bucket on the hornindal, then let them go to ambient which is about 70 where they stayed for the last week. Today there are some yeast rafts on the surface of both, the voss almost covered with them.

Hornindal is pretty clear, Voss is a little more hazy with a bit more mouth feel. Both have a bit of fruity hops aroma and they taste very similar, no yeast taste and a bit of the tropical fruit taste I was looking for. Whether that’s yeast or hops induced is hard to say at this point. I’d like to get them gassed up for summer consumption so I’ll likely give them another week or so and keg them up.

@squeegeethree did you apply to heat and if so for how long?

1 Like

It’s been mid 80’s all week so I just let it be

I thought about putting them in my garage before I left town last saturday so they’d be warmer but didn’t feel like carrying them up from the basement.

I bet that’s why you got better attenuation. I may try putting the next batch someplace warmer just to see.

I also mashed at 150F which wasn’t my intent but so it goes.

I mashed at 151 so not much difference. What kind of thermometer do you use? I use a thermapen.

For the mashing and wort creation I use a Polder(pic). For my fermentors I check with a laser thermometer.

I like the design of that Polder. How long is the cord?

about 4 feet long and the temp probe takes it a bit further. I like that you can have a temperature alarm and a timer/count down alarm at the same time. So I can work on other things and be advised by the alarm system on when to act next. It also has a magnet on the back so you can stick it in out of the way places in the kitchen.

Does the quarter contribute to yeast phenols?

no but the ruler might i guess it depends on how you measure

1 Like

That was an interesting read! Thank you Sneezles61

Well I bottled the three gallons of the Hornindal batch this weekend. It tore the wort down from 1.065 to 1.001. Very different than my experience with Voss, which I’m hoping to bottle next weekend. If I didn’t know better, I would swear that this was a saison strain, in fact it reminds me a lot of Dupont. VERY estery, with pineapple and mango, with an aroma of honey. But yeasty like a saison strain. We’ll see how Voss and Stranda compare in a few weeks. But I’m impressed, and I could see using this quite a bit over the summer, just not what I was expecting. Time to brew more saison!

I’ll be bottling my Hornindal this weekend. Stranda was so clean for me that it would be nice to have something a bit more complex

I will finally brew with the Kviek this W/E… I’ll keep it to a lighter affair, I’m just plain old curious… IF its clean, it may be a good “go to” for a wide variety… Sneezles61
And its in the fermenter! I will say it sure had a strong odor when I cut the packet open… I’ve also got 5 of my Australian going too… This is the 9th generation!