Kriek lambic brewing

Me plan to brew a this sat or sunday depends on friday birthday party how much beer will flow but do think saturday gonna brew the kriek lambic .got awesome deal with the super market did talk to the owner he will give me the cherries for free as long o do invite him during brew session . He has frozen bags of cherries as well can i use them as well or fresh is the way to go. Did see at the natuaral store cherry syrup can i use them as well ?

I’ve brewed the kriek from Northern Brewer-it uses cherry puree-turned out good. If you use fresh, i’ve heard you should crush the frozen cherries before adding to secondary, and the type of cherry can make a big difference. Never heard anything about cherry syrup. Hopefully some of our more experienced sour lovers will chime in.

Good luck with the kriek, one of my favorite styles.

Cheers,

Ron

In my experience, frozen cherries are broken down enough to not need further crushing.

Fresh with pits is the best option, in my experienced, followed by frozen, and then dried without oil. Canned is ok, but I haven’t been completely happy with canned fruit or purée. It always tastes like it’s been in a can.

Keep in mind, you’re months away from adding fruit if you’re sticking with a traditional method. I like to wait until the beer is done, then transfer to fruit for about 6 weeks, then bottle.

What kind of brett and bacteria culture are you planning on using?

1 Like

Did look yesterday at the syrup this is not gonna work to much other things in there not 100% cherries .if i use this this might give me not the kriek flav i am looking for ? Gonna use a yeast strain 3278 belgian lambic blend . And will be using frozen cherries did buy them yesterday so once time is there to add them i have them .brewing session will be wedness day . Sat not possible friday my birthday lots of beer will flow and this weekend euro cup soccer goooo belguim

Just be ready-this will be a lesson in patience. When I brewed the kriek, after 2 or 3 weeks there was no more active fermentation, and it was Totally undrinkable-tasted and smelled like rotten meat (luckily I had been forewarned). After another month it was better, but still undrinkable . At about 4 1/2 months, it was suddenly good, almost like magic . I let it go a little longer then added the cherry puree. Let that go about a month and a half then bottled. So all told about 7 months grain to glass. But it was definitely worth the wait. Much good luck to ya!

Cheers,

Ron

1 Like

Yeah been reading lots about the long wait but should be worth it today we should get brewing products in they are on the island a few extra carboys as well so once done just stick the kriek carboy in the corner and just wait the plan wedness day brewing session morning the kriek brew session afternoon the storm the bastille