Back to Shopping at


after 5 days of fermenting my krausen is almost gone any suggestions on how much longer i should be waiting until I transfer over to secondary fermentation?

my first batch it took 72 hours for the krausen to go down…just had a very fast fermentation. If you so transfer to a secondary (many different thoughts on this process) I would wait for week 2. It lets the sediment settle out a little longer

my suggestion is to leave your beer in the primary No less than two weeks. i like to leave my primary alone for at least two weeks from the day I pitch the yeast. I then rack to a secondary, which I leave alone for two weeks. After that I start taking hydrometer tests. After three readings of the same gravity I keg and carb. There is debates about racking to a secondary. Some posts say to leave it in the primary for three weeks and forgo the secondary. I never tried that, but some day I probably will.

Get ready to hear many different things on this: “wait until you get the same reading after 3 days, wait a month, transfer after 5 days”, etc. The bottom line is every batch is different and it’s best not to be in a hurry. As long as it’s not in the primary more than a month, you should wait until at least a few days after you think that primary is done and it’s OK to rack.

I transfer all of my brews into a keg in two weeks as long as the gravity has stopped changing. This process has worked flawlessly for me so far. I used to do the whole 3 weeks fermentation then move to the secondary for another 2-3weeks then bottle and wait another 2 weeks. I started listening to Brewstrong a few years ago they said that its not necessary so I stopped. I have never looked back.

I’ll disagree on the “over the month” thought.

Sometimes life gets in the way of brewing duties and things still turn out OK.

Back to Shopping at