Krausen Still There

Ok, I am not new to brewing, but this was my first all grain batch. To start off with, I grabbed the wrong yeast. Was trying to get the standard American Ale and got the American Wheat 1010; this is for an IPA. According to beersmith, it should be going into secondary tomorrow. Thing is the Krausen is still very present and fermentation is strong. My instincts tell me to relax and have a beer.

Any feedback will be fine.

NO program can tell you when the beer is ready to be transferred to a 2nd vessel ( which I think is never) or sent to a keg or bottled.

The beer will tell you that. That time will be when you have 2-3 hydrometer readings that are the same 2-3 days apart.

Let the beer sit for 3 weeks before you even get concerned about transferring it.

In the mean time, have you read http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html ?

[quote=“Nighthawk”]NO program can tell you when the beer is ready to be transferred to a 2nd vessel ( which I think is never) or sent to a keg or bottled.

The beer will tell you that. That time will be when you have 2-3 hydrometer readings that are the same 2-3 days apart.

Let the beer sit for 3 weeks before you even get concerned about transferring it.

In the mean time, have you read http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html ?[/quote]

I would second all of this ^^^^

Let it sit for three weeks then bottle. No need for a secondary. No need to worry. Brew another brew asap!

I may be wrong but most yeast for wheat beers usually have a good amount of Krausen because of the nature of their fermentation. I also believe that most varieties of this yeast also like a slightly warmer primary temp. So if you are fermenting at the low range for a typical ale strain then this might be the reason why it is still going.

Sometimes, like with Kolsch yeast, the Krausen almost refuses to fall, in this case take a gravity reading. The act of poking a hole through the Krausen to take the reading, seems to break the surface tension and allow for the Krausen to begin falling.

I know it won’t be popular, but i’m not a fan of skipping secondary. I feel like my first beers out of keg are cleaner when i have my beers in secondary for a few days before kegging. But to each their own. Now maybe this is less of an issue with bottles as your pouring from the top of the bottle as opposed to pulling from the bottom like you do with kegs.

You’re not unpopular with me! :smiley:

You’re not unpopular with me! :smiley: [/quote]

Nor me! I am still on the fence but still so a secondary with most.

I generally do a short stint in secondary as well before I keg mainly for clarity reasons. Bottling is so much work, lol. And of course, the day after I posted it began to fall, that Murphy sure had insight. Temp of the room its in is about 69-70 ambient. Thanks for the feedback everyone.