Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Krausen Overflow

Hey all, not that there is a lot I can do about it at this point but I would like to know if there are any adverse effects to loosing krausen out the air lock/tube. No fear of exploding fermentation buckets as it is flowing steadily through the tube. This is hour 24 into a huge starter pitch.

All I can think of is that maybe I am loosing some of the yeast? Obviously I am loosing some wort but that’s not a big deal, although it does smell wonderful!

Blowoff tubes are really common for a lot of ales. There shouldn’t be any adverse effects. The outflow is keeping bugs etc out.
As you’re finding out there is more than enough yeast in the brew. The biggest thing is that you’re losing beer!

I brewed a double-brown ale with about 9 lbs of dry malt extract, and used dry S-04 yeast which has always been super active for me. A 5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon carboy blew out nearly a gallon of beer. With other beers I’ve had enough pushed out of the blowoff tube that a separate fermentation got started in the blowoff bucket.

You’ll be fine.

Agree, you’re fine.

If it’s a thinner tube, or just the airlock, then the blow-off can crust up and seal the tube, and that’s when the lid pops. Or it may just leave the airlock dry, which is also bad.

As the krausen subsides, clean and replace the airlock. If you don’t have sanitizer to refill the airlock, use booze.

All is well now, I only lost about 1000ml. As I researched I did find that adding a few drops of Fermcap-S will calm the craziness down a bit. Anyone else ever use this? Some reviews say an even better head retention.

I let my hose flow into the flask to catch the over flow and now that it has calmed down I started to dump it out but noticed it is fermenting away nicely and smells freaking awesome. I am not dumping it back into the main batch but I bet it will end up in a bottle. This is from a triple decoction mash, I am enjoying every drop!

My biggest concern would be a plug-up. Blowing an airlock makes a big mess. :oops:
A blow-off tube is always good insurance. Temp. control can be a factor. What temp. do you ferment at?

[quote=“mrv”]My biggest concern would be a plug-up. Blowing an airlock makes a big mess. :oops:
A blow-off tube is always good insurance. Temp. control can be a factor. What temp. do you ferment at?[/quote]

I try to stay between 62-64F. I always ferment in buckets with blowoff tubes. I have some cube shaped igloo coolers that a 5 gallon bucket fits right down into and lets the lid close. I fill the cooler with water up to the wort line with the blowoff tube down in the water in the cooler. I manage temps with frozen bottles of water. One a day works perfectly.

I also have a nice layer of yeast in the bottom of the flask now. Everything smells very clean/fresh so I am going to wash it and grow up another big starter. This will be a 3rd gen Wyeast 1728.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com