Kolsch or 1007

Both of these strains say they are powdery and stay in suspension post fermentation. Does anyone have any idea of if/ when they would clear on their own. I have no way to cold crash

not exactly sure how long. probably a couple months or so.

you might want to research a product called “biofine clear”. not sure if it needs to be used when the beer is cold or not… if not, it might be what youre looking for

I have no experience with the 1007. The 2565 takes friggin forever to settle out. However, after fermentation is complete, you can dissolve a tablespoon of Knox unflavored gelatin in a little hot water and stir it in. The yeast settles out instantly and will settle out completely in about 24-48 hours. That’s what I do.

However, the White Labs version of Kolsch yeast, WLP029, has no problem at all settling out in normal time. It is for that reason that I will probably stick with WLP029 from now on. You might just want to try that.

1007 takes about 2 months @ 37F to clear without gelatin. You can’t move the keg at all or it will cloud up again.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]I have no experience with the 1007. The 2565 takes friggin forever to settle out. However, after fermentation is complete, you can dissolve a tablespoon of Knox unflavored gelatin in a little hot water and stir it in. The yeast settles out instantly and will settle out completely in about 24-48 hours. That’s what I do.

However, the White Labs version of Kolsch yeast, WLP029, has no problem at all settling out in normal time. It is for that reason that I will probably stick with WLP029 from now on. You might just want to try that.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I’ve never brewed or even drank a kolsch but it’s something I’ve wanted to try for awhile now. From your experience with wlp029 could I expect a pretty clear beer after 3-4 weeks in the mid 60’s?

Yes sir, approximately 3.5 to 4 weeks in my experience. Clear as crystal.

Awesome. Thanks again, I’ll drink one for ya

The very best kolsch I ever had was a home brewed batch.
The first year I volunteered for the Oregon Brew Fest (1999) all new volunteers had to attend a pre event orientation. I don’t remember where it was, but I do remember two members of the Oregon Brew Crew being there and pouring samples of kolsch from a corny. It was fantastic!

Just by chance I was at a restraunt last night that had kolsch. It was not what i expected I was rather underwhelmed. My pallet is not the best but it wasn’t to far off from American light lagers. I think ill still brew it through to show off my skills for any non craft beer people that are around

I have preferred most homebrewed Kolsch to the real German Kolsch, but it may have to do with the fact that I don’t travel to Germany! However, I had one last Friday that came home Thursday from Germany in a friend’s bag (flight attendant who regularly brings back German brews). That one was Fruh, IIRC, and it was very good.
+1 to WLP029, btw.

:cheers:

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]I have preferred most homebrewed Kolsch to the real German Kolsch, but it may have to do with the fact that I don’t travel to Germany! However, I had one last Friday that came home Thursday from Germany in a friend’s bag (flight attendant who regularly brings back German brews). That one was Fruh, IIRC, and it was very good.
+1 to WLP029, btw.

:cheers: [/quote]
A true Kölsch. Consider yourself lucky. Many people don’t experience Kölsch unless they’ve visited Köln.