Kiwi Express Hop Mix

So, I have considered making the Kiwi Express, but it seems a bit pricey, considering the ingredients. Some of this is no doubt due to the proprietary hop blend that they include. My question is, (those who have brewed, drank, and/or smelled it) what varieties do you think are in it? Thanks,
Dan

I’m actually down to my last 20 bottles or so. If you like west coast style ipa’s (dry, light body, with tons of hop aroma/flavor) I would say go for it!
Simple brew session…mash low, only a couple kettle charges, and let the hops steep for a bit!!!

This one doesn’t let down in the hop department for sure!

Based on the descriptions, I would guess green bullet, pacific jade, pacific gem, topaz. The topaz gives the dank-ness. Jade is the bittering. Gem and green bullet for the fruity notes. Two ounces of each will give you the eight ounces that are in the kit.

J

Has anyone made this omitting the late dry hop addition just before bottling/kegging?

[quote=“Barliman”]Based on the descriptions, I would guess green bullet, pacific jade, pacific gem, topaz. The topaz gives the dank-ness. Jade is the bittering. Gem and green bullet for the fruity notes. Two ounces of each will give you the eight ounces that are in the kit.

J[/quote]

Topaz is Australian, not NZ. Based on the lime oil comment, my money is on Motueka being in there. Not sure where the resin is coming from, since I haven’t brewed with any of the other NZ varieties that NB carries.

[quote=“erockrph”][quote=“Barliman”]Based on the descriptions, I would guess green bullet, pacific jade, pacific gem, topaz. The topaz gives the dank-ness. Jade is the bittering. Gem and green bullet for the fruity notes. Two ounces of each will give you the eight ounces that are in the kit.

J[/quote]

Topaz is Australian, not NZ. Based on the lime oil comment, my money is on Motueka being in there. Not sure where the resin is coming from, since I haven’t brewed with any of the other NZ varieties that NB carries.[/quote]

Wow, how did I miss that? erock is right, switch to Motueka.

J

I am fermenting the Kiwi now. The hops package came with all the identified packages inside. Here is a list of what came.

4 oz of New Zealand Pacific Jade (@14.2% Alpha, 7.5% Beta)
2 oz of Green Bullet (@13.2% Alpha)
2 oz of New Zealand Motueka (@7.5% Alpha, 5.25% Beta)

Mine came with:
4 oz pacific jade
2 oz Moteuka
2 oz NZ Hallertau

Mine had no “kiwi express hop blend” as the recipe sheet says.

I did .5 pacific jade @ 60

1 oz NZ halertau @ 10
1.5 Pacific Jade @ 10
1 oz Moteuka @ 10

Dry hopped:

2 oz Pacific Jade
1 oz Moteuka
1 oz NZ Hallertau

It looks like they’ve changed their hop inclusion again…it’s now Nelson Sauvin, Moteuka, and Wakatu. I’m a little concerned that all the reviews posted are really for a completely different recipe.

Looks like they change up this recipe based on availability of South Pacific hops, which I imagine are hard to keep stocked all year. For future reference, you will find the full ingredient list on NB’s site for most kits. It’s available on the “Additional Information” tab.

SPECIALTY GRAIN
– 0.5 lbs Briess Caramel 20
FERMENTABLES
– 2 lbs Briess Pilsen DME (60 min)
– 6 lbs Pilsen malt syrup late addition (15 min)
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
– 0.5 oz New Zealand Nelson Sauvin (60 min)
– 0.5 oz New Zealand Nelson Sauvin (10 min)
– 1 oz New Zealand Motueka (10 min)
– 2 oz New Zealand Wakatu (10 min)
– 1 oz New Zealand Motueka (Dry Hop)
– 2 oz New Zealand Wakatu (Dry Hop)

My previous review was from last years recipe, but with the hop bill for last year I don’t see how it could let down. they did change the recipe to eliminate the large hop stand if I’m reading correctly, but that shouldn’t be a huge deal.

Finally brewing this today, using a yeast mixture of San Diego Super and New Britannia. I changed up the hop schedule a little bit, though:

1.0 oz Nelson Sauvin @ 60
2.0 oz Wakatau @ 10
1.0 oz Motueka @ 10

Dry hop 2.0 oz Wakatau, 1.0 oz Motueka

I did some research because I noticed that the kit had Wakatau and NB wasn’t selling Wakatau, but had NZ Hallertau. Turns out those ARE Wakatau.