Kettle souring

Thanks a lot. Will try this method for my first attempt.

I do hope to get some character from the saison yeast. Ive read about acclimating some yeast and add it to the bottles. Do you age kettle sours. I have a bunch of Belgian style bottles

Not really, they don’t change any more than other clean beers. I suppose if you made a big Belgian quad and soured it there would be some benefit for aging, but once you kill the lacto there really isn’t much benefit for long aging. I don’t kill the lacto and they do develop somewhat in the bottle, but nothing like a mixed fermentation with a dozen different microbes and strains.

Critique

Looks good. Not going for the saison yeast then?

Make sure you do a short boil before pitching the lacto to kill everything in the wort. And adjust pH to 4.5. Only other thing, whichever yeast you use, go for double the pitch rate as the yeast won’t grow as well at low pH.

Not sure about the yeast yet. Going back and forth. Not sure if I want the cherries and the saison flavor together. I may try the ale yeast first just so I don’t have as much going on.

Hey @porkchop I overshot my lactic acid got a pH 4.2 @ 120deg. Should I still shoot for 3.5 pH after the sour. Also I thought I would have some 05 but no so I’m going with the saison I have.

No biggie, pH is a log scale so the bacteria still have a lot of acid to produce. Are you using water with some hardness? If so, 3.5 should be good. If your water is really soft, you may want to go a bit lower.

I think you’ll be happy with the saison yeast.

I’m going to measure in the morning 8am should be about 18 hrs

Oh another question. I’m warming the slurry should I add some of wort to acclimate it or is that not needed

I’ve never bothered. Did you see some pH drop in your starter?

Didn’t Check. I’ll check it now.

Well the slurry is 4.8 . I have two choices actually three. Start my slurry with some .030 wort I have or some of the pH adjusted wort or just toss the slurry without activating it .

Or get some DME wort going. That’s four

Did you already make the wort? It sounds like your starter might need a bit more time. If you already have the wort made, I’d go ahead and pitch the starter and just seal up the kettle as best as possible with tape or plastic wrap. If there isn’t any pH change by tomorrow, maybe grab some goodbelly at the store. At 4.2, the wort should be safe for quite a few days.

Not worried about the starter since I have 400ml of slurry. I was planning to activate it and pitch it active into the kettle

No activity @porkchop so I pitched a couple good belly shots. Never did the starter just emptied 8 caps into the wort

1 Like

Next time I’ll do a starter or just straight pitch the GB

I’ve used Swanson’s lacto-p capsules in the past, about 8 capsules pitched straight into the wort works fine. It takes a bit longer, but still should see some pH drop within 12 hours or so. The only time they failed was when the pills had been sitting on the shelf too long and lost viability. I wonder if that happened here. The Goodbelly should get things going.

Getting ready to do my sour this weekend using Good Belly. Many many thanks to @porkchop for guidance.

1 Like