Kettle screen for mash?

Has anyone ever used a “kettle screen” in an igloo type mash tun instead of a false bottom? I need to step up to a 10 gallon tun but don’t have the $$ for the false bottom right now. I have a kettle screen (simple screen tube used inside my kettle) that I could use but I’m nervous about a stuck mash. Has anyone used a similar set up? How’d it work?
Thanks!

I use one in my 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler. Works great. I’ve never had a stuck mash.

Sweet, you just saved me $40 on a false bottom!!

I’ve mashed in a boil pot using a bazooka screen. Worked fine. Can’t see why a cooler would be any different.

Use the braid from a toilet or washing machine hose and you can save a lot more $$. Works at least as well as a Bazooka screen.

[quote=“Denny”]
Use the braid from a toilet or washing machine hose and you can save a lot more $$. Works at least as well as a Bazooka screen.[/quote]
Hard to beat the price of something you already own. :wink:

I’m with Denny on the stainless steel braid. I use one and love it. No stuck sparges even with brews that are heavily laden with wheat that has been pulverized to an almost powder :slight_smile:

I’ve got a SS brain with 1/2" ball valve and 1/2"ID tubing and if I open full throttle (after setting the grain bed) I will get it stuck. Happened on my last two batches. I run it much slower, maybe 1/3 open, and I’m actually seeing an efficiency boost.

Weird that you’re seeing an increase in efficiency. Do you fly sparge?

batch sparge. I guess I can’t attribute the boost to the slower flow. Just something I changed and went from 75% to 82%

Use the braid from a toilet or washing machine hose and you can save a lot more $$. Works at least as well as a Bazooka screen.[/quote]

I have one like this now. just attached to a barb with a worm clamp. It works pretty well, but I’m switching over to the pre-made ones because they are more rigid and less prone to me messing it up when stirring my mash.