Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Kettle pick up tube

I have seen several designs for kettle pick up tubes and was wondering if there is advantages to one design over another? Pics would be nice. Thanks to all that share their experiences.

The ideal pickup tube design depends on your kettle. The pickup tube should do two things: allow you to drain more wort than you would by just using the port, and minimize the transfer of trub out of the kettle. Achieving both of those can be a compromise, but most pickup tubes you see will drain the wort from a point at the lower outside edge of the kettle, because that allows you to spin a whirlpool a few minutes before draining that will concentrate a lot of the trub in the middle.

Here is a couple of pics of the ones that I use in my 30gal pots. BK after the whirlpool and draining and HLT. FWIW I gravity feed through a CFC out of my BK.
[attachment=1]IMG_20131001_175220_946-2.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]IMG_20131002_053640_638-2.jpg[/attachment]

Mine is like the first pic except turned off to the left I stir clockwise.

Here’s mine. At the very end, I tip the pot up to suck the last few ounces of wort and am left with a nice cone of hops and trub.

Wow! I’m never able to achieve a nice cone like that in my kettle!

I just get a pile at the bottom after the whirlpool and I end up leaving about 1-2 inches of trub/wort/hop sludge at the bottom.

[quote=“stompwampa”]Wow! I’m never able to achieve a nice cone like that in my kettle!

I just get a pile at the bottom after the whirlpool and I end up leaving about 1-2 inches of trub/wort/hop sludge at the bottom.[/quote]Probably because you chill in the kettle which adds cold break to the mix. Cold break does not settle into a cone very well.

Sense we have determined what color cooler is best, I think, can we now debate which way to put the pickup tube?

:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“MullerBrau”][quote=“stompwampa”]Wow! I’m never able to achieve a nice cone like that in my kettle!

I just get a pile at the bottom after the whirlpool and I end up leaving about 1-2 inches of trub/wort/hop sludge at the bottom.[/quote]Probably because you chill in the kettle which adds cold break to the mix. Cold break does not settle into a cone very well.[/quote]

Where else would you chill? How do you avoid the cold break?

Counterflow or plate chiller. Hot wort goes out and cold break settles in the fermenter, not the kettle.

Exactly. You also get the time saving benefit of chilling while transferring to the primary. That’s especially helpful when making large batches.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com