Kettle for Electric Brewing?

Hey, All.
I’m thinking about getting an electric stove just for brewing because winter is WINTER and cold in Minnesota. I’ve seen people post this heat source before http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6896112056

My question is, does the kettle/pot matter to the heat source? I’m simply using an 8 Gal pot that came with a turkey frier. Am I going to run into any issues using this pot with that burner?

Any thoughts?

Yes, absolutely. Its has to be magnetic to work with an induction burner. Aluminum is not, and a lot of stainless steels aren’t either. You’ll need to use a magnet on the pot to find out.

In any case, you’ll be dissapointed with the power of an induction burner if you’re wanting to do full boils. It barely boils 6gal and takes an hour or so to come to boil. Fine for 2-3gal extract brewing though.

Good to know!
I’ll check the magnetism right away. I’ve been making 5 gallon batches, in which I boil about 3 gallons, then add 2 gallons to the carboy to bring the batch to 5.
An hour to boil is pretty ridiculous, especially when I remove the kettle from heat to add stuff.

hmmm…

I think you’ll get to boil in 30min with 3gal, keep the lid on it until it gets close.

I have a Burton induction hotplate, I think its 1800W. You could also go with a couple 1000W electric stock tank heater elements, they are like wands. Google to see what I mean. They are one of the cheapest ways to go electric, I think they are around $30 apiece. I don’t think a single 1000W element by itself would boil 3gal in a decent amount of time. Maybe if you use it along with your kitchen stove it would work. I also have a nice 2000W element from Brewers Best that has an on/off switch and temp dial, but it was expensive.

Kind of an old thread, but I came on here just to see if anyone else had any comments about induction cooktops.

I currently use a outdoor turkey fryer burner but will SOON be replacing my indoor cooktop (old thing with coil burners) with a 4 burner induction cooktop. Looks a lot like a radiant glasstop cooktop, but it is induction not the normal electric glasstop

My ‘normal’ brew pot is a 6 gal stainless steel stockpot. I did the magnet test and it is definetly magnetic (about pulled the thing right out of my hand) both on the bottom and the sides.

I am hoping for a bit better boil rate since I am getting a dedicated cooktop. The one I am looking at has an 11 inch burner(would fit my 11" bottom stock pot) and the power is 3700W of power. it also has a Power Boost mode

any thoughts (if anyone knows) on if 3700 watt 11" induction cooktop would be enough for a good boil on a ~3.5 gallon base (I usually start with about 3 gallons, then add the extracts etc, top off to 5 at the end)

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplPr ... PHP900SMSS

i just installed an induction cooktop and boiled 3 gal in 20 min. I don’t have the specifics but I think it is 3800w. It was my first batch. The steep temp was held pretty consistent at a low setting. I was previously using a 1800W induction cooker. It would only handle about 2 gal of water and you really had to keep the lid on to keep a nice rolling boil. I did 2 batches with it and the beer was ok.

[quote=“fullhousebrew”]Kind of an old thread, but I came on here just to see if anyone else had any comments about induction cooktops.

I currently use a outdoor turkey fryer burner but will SOON be replacing my indoor cooktop (old thing with coil burners) with a 4 burner induction cooktop. Looks a lot like a radiant glasstop cooktop, but it is induction not the normal electric glasstop

My ‘normal’ brew pot is a 6 gal stainless steel stockpot. I did the magnet test and it is definetly magnetic (about pulled the thing right out of my hand) both on the bottom and the sides.

I am hoping for a bit better boil rate since I am getting a dedicated cooktop. The one I am looking at has an 11 inch burner(would fit my 11" bottom stock pot) and the power is 3700W of power. it also has a Power Boost mode

any thoughts (if anyone knows) on if 3700 watt 11" induction cooktop would be enough for a good boil on a ~3.5 gallon base (I usually start with about 3 gallons, then add the extracts etc, top off to 5 at the end)

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplPr ... PHP900SMSS[/quote]