Keggle Boil Kettle Pickup Tube Options

I’m picking up a used keggle tomorrow to be used as a boil kettle. Currently I use a 8 gal flat-bottom brew kettle and Mullerbrau’s side pickup tube design along with whirlpooling. I also use a plate chiller and pellet hops only, which requires the use a hop spider. All is well with my AG batches - I just want to upgrade my BK.

So, here’s my question: with the conical-shaped bottom of the keggle, what is the recommended BK pickup up tube design for someone who uses pellet hops and a plate chiller? The flat-bottomed kettle, whirlpooling and the side pickup tube all work like a charm at the moment.

Thoughts/suggestions?

I would use the same as you do today. The domed bottom of a keggle will only help keep hops and trub in the center of the pot like the whirlpool does. Maybe someone else who uses this type equipment will chime in.

Thanks, Greg. I guess I was thinking that a pure side-located pickup like I use now would leave quite a bit of excess volume in the ‘bowl’ at the bottom of the keggle vs. very little remaining volume distributed over the bottom of a flat pot. I’ve been searching quite a bit and there are a lot of options out there. Just wondering what people felt were the best when using the combination of variables that I am: keggle, pellet hops & plate chiller.

I’ve got a 5/8 in pick up tube just barely off to one side of the bottom (domed down piece) with a copper choreboy/scrubby on it. Works pretty well after a good whirlpool.

What kind of pellts do you use (pellet or whole)? And is the tube against the side wall of the keg or against the bowl/bottom?

I use a side pickup tube design in my keggle I use for my BK (HLT is in the middle). Using pellets I don’t have issues going through my CFC after whirlpooling.

BTW if you don’t mind me asking what does a good keggle with two welded SS couplings go for these days? I won a large SS kettle in a comp and may be looking to sell both of mine.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]I use a side pickup tube design in my keggle I use for my BK (HLT is in the middle). Using pellets I don’t have issues going through my CFC after whirlpooling.

BTW if you don’t mind me asking what does a good keggle with two welded SS couplings go for these days? I won a large SS kettle in a comp and may be looking to sell both of mine.[/quote]I sold one a few years ago for $250. I picked up a package deal for $950 for a whole bunch of stuff that a guy didn’t want his ex to get in the divorce.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]I use a side pickup tube design in my keggle I use for my BK (HLT is in the middle). Using pellets I don’t have issues going through my CFC after whirlpooling.

BTW if you don’t mind me asking what does a good keggle with two welded SS couplings go for these days? I won a large SS kettle in a comp and may be looking to sell both of mine.[/quote]
At least a couple hundred bucks:

http://www.homebrewing.org/155-Homebrew ... _2623.html

I got a used AB 1/2 barrel keg for $50 today off CL. Looks like it was made in the mid-90’s. I will have at it after I get back from a business trip to Asia.

[quote=“MullerBrau”]The domed bottom of a keggle will only help keep hops and trub in the center of the pot like the whirlpool does. Maybe someone else who uses this type equipment will chime in.[/quote]I just went the other way, keggle to flat-bottomed kettle, and the keggle’s bowl definitely helps to collect the trub in the middle and keep it there. I use pellets and an IC.

May I ask why you moved in that direction?

Wow! Never would have guessed that. Is that with the valve and Thermo?
I was thinking about asking $130 -$150 each w/o the valve and thermo.

Wow! Never would have guessed that. Is that with the valve and Thermo?
I was thinking about asking $130 -$150 each w/o the valve and thermo.[/quote]
Yes it was a Sabco with valve and thermometer.

Sabco. Brand name, that makes sense.

You can throw one together with blichmann valve and brewmometer for about 200 if you can get the keg for 50.

The sites online are all around 200 plus shipping (like another 50 bucks) for the keg, with cut top and 2 couplings welded.

[quote=“mccabedoug”][quote=“Shadetree”]I just went the other way, keggle to flat-bottomed kettle, and the keggle’s bowl definitely helps to collect the trub in the middle and keep it there.[/quote]May I ask why you moved in that direction?[/quote]The new kettle is 24-25 gallons and I can make 16.5 gallons of wort with ease, the perfect volume for three buckets and three kegs.

Increased batch size for me as well. I was already in the market for a 25gal kettle and was shocked when I won one in competition. Best prize I’ve won to date in a comp. I’m going to be selling my keggles and buying a second 25gal kettle.

I’m workin on building a keggle, and my question is, is the pickup needed and what’s its purpose

Pickup is needed if you use a pump or would like to not have to tip the keggle since your valve is a good few inches above the bottom of the keg.

My PU Tube runs to the bottom CENTER of my converted keg. I pump all of my 10 gallon batch into two fermenters. I use nylon paint strainer bags for hops. I think my last batch was the 81st. Just stop worrying about trub. I all is left behind when racking. Everyone loves my beer.

Try a Hop Stopper just Google it.

I don’t care what goes into my fermenters. I care what goes through my plate chiller. That’s why I started this thread. I’ve made lots of batches with my current kettle and plate chiller w/o troubles. I use a hop spider, pellet hops, side pickup and I whirlpool. No problems. Just wondering how I would change that setup slightly to accomodate the ‘bowl-shaped’ bottom of the keggle.